Bike Commuting and I'm Back

Moderators: ratboy, vudu

SULLY

Re: Bike Commuting and I'm Back

Post by SULLY » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:43 am

stu wrote:I hope you all made it out today too…?

Absolutely. Tenth day in a row commuting. This probably matches my longest stretch from last year. Beautiful weather. I can't think of a better way to spend 20 minutes before work.
And then it came time to descend Mountain Lion trail. Descending mountain lion is like drinking a Margarita through a crazy straw on a trampoline. It's like giving a dog Pop Rocks. It's like a knife fight with a monkey. It's like necking with an octopus. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=301909

stu

Radars lie.

Post by stu » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:11 am

Radars lie.

Rain out of nowhere but wasn’t so bad (rather refreshing). I even got a siren blast from a prison caravan (not sure why) – sometimes I think pigs just like being douchebags. :evil: WTF happened to all that nice weather? Back to the high 70s with 100% humidly this morning it rather sucked but I suppose anything is better than driving. :mrgreen:

stu

Post by stu » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:19 am

Lows will be in the 60s tonight for Tuesday Morning's commute should be primo.

Looks like the temps are finally breaking some for the long run. Best time of the year approaching for riding.

stu

Post by stu » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:06 pm

Well, to show I am good sport and I acknowledge that I have been beat fair & square…

I was on the commute home today when I was making my turn in the ghetto part of town, I saw this younger fellow riding on a shiny cruiser bike pedaling rather fast in my direction. Once I made the turn and weaved between oncoming traffic, I heard a lot of noise coming up on my left on the sidewalk and low behold there was young fellow knees bobbing up & down faster than you could see them and says to me “Yo bike be slow boy…” I smiled and glanced down at my computer “25 mph” then he stopped pedaling and headed towards the Shop-N-Rob.

So there you have it, I got beat by a cruiser bike fair and square.

robc

Post by robc » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:04 pm

Rather interesting ride this morning. I'm rolling towards a stop sign, a cop car is coming from the right. I slowly roll a little past the stop sign to have a good look to the left, then I see the cop car making a left turn- fast and no signal, so I stop and put a foot down. He is coming really close, I assume he is going to stop directly in front of me to give a ticket or something. Then his car clips my front wheel and rolls over my toe! :lol: WTF???

He drove another 10 feet and then stopped finally, apparently he just never saw me. No injury, just a wacked front wheel, which the HPD should compensate me for. He should have just offered me $100 for the wheel and ride home, but he called it in right away, and now apparently the captain is pissed. So yeah, looking for a cheap front road wheel now.
Portland- where the dream of the 90s is still alive today.

stu

Post by stu » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:47 pm

Holy crap! That's funny and scary at the same time. I'd be opting to replace my "high-dollar" wheel if I was you... (hint-hint).

I had one blast his siren at me the other day becuse I was heading straight for him (I go the wrong way down one-way streets as shortcuts). I think he was trying to be cute (as if I didn't see him or something). You see more on the bike than you ever do driving for sure.

Side note: I got to run through some jagged glass yesterday at the entrance to the tunnel pathway (didn't have a choice), so far so good with the Vittoria Randonneur tires.

SULLY

Post by SULLY » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:53 pm

I may have to get a pair of those. The tires I have just plain suck. Two flats in a three week period. I am very displease with Kenda's Iron Cloak flat protection. Maybe it is because I am running 23. Who knows. I am going to give these tires another month of heavy commuting to make sure it isn't just a fluke.
And then it came time to descend Mountain Lion trail. Descending mountain lion is like drinking a Margarita through a crazy straw on a trampoline. It's like giving a dog Pop Rocks. It's like a knife fight with a monkey. It's like necking with an octopus. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=301909

stu

Post by stu » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:27 am

Chilly-Willy this morning fellas. It went from Summer to Winter in 2 weeks!!! :shock:

stu

Post by stu » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:46 am

Crossing the threshold today makes day #51 for the year commuting to work by bike. :D

breaux

Post by breaux » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:35 am

Got a new 29er coming and need to make some room. Selling my commuter if anyone is looking for a ride....

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3837

stu

Post by stu » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:21 am

Something about wet cold and lots of traffic really makes the commute a lot of fun. I dressed the part of course, got some wicked stares too. :mrgreen:

Hope you fellow commuters were out this morning as well.

Monkey Boy

Post by Monkey Boy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:31 am

Hybrid train/bike commute today. Streets are closed on 3 sides of my office for the Veterans Day Parade so I rode 2 mi to the train station, took the train downtown, then the 8 blocks to my office. Brought lights so I can hop off 1 stop early on the way home do a dusk/night ride at Walnut Creek & pedal 3 mi home. I'm on the SS so I hope I don't run out of steam on the way home. :lol: I was feeling Tuesday's ride on the long grind up across my neighborhood. Being out of shape bites! Bring on winter already...65 & muggy at dawn in mid-november?
"(Bleep)...that's gonna leave a mark." C.Farley

SULLY

Post by SULLY » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:11 pm

SULLY

Post by SULLY » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:54 am

Today was my first commute since the weather has been cold here (the past two weeks). I had gotten up several mornings with the intention of commuting, but after being exposed the 38 degree temp while taking the dog out, I decided to drive. This morning I didn’t let myself get discouraged by the temperature. I laid all my clothes out the night before and checked the tire pressure. No excuses this morning.
I put on a long sleeve T, a long sleeve thin cotton pullover, and a vented wind breaker. For my hands I have Remington hunting mittens where the finger part of the mittens folds back and stays folded back with magnets. These gloves were awesome. Where mittens folded back, there was a small gap in the fabric which acted like vent, and they have leather palms. My hands were only slightly warmer than I would have liked them. I wore jeans which was a mistake. My legs typically don’t get cold, so I should have just gone with shorts. This would have saved me from the slight chaffing I endured. I didn’t wear any head gear. My ears and nose were a little cold, but I don’t think I really needed any head gear.
I took an old route I have not used in a while. My bike would not shift, but I was in a comfortable gear, so until I check it out I am ok with that. One bozo coming from the perpendicular street of an intersection came close to taking me out as cut a left turn VERY short and came into the wrong lane. I guess he didn’t see me because if I was a car, he would have smoked me for sure. Other than that the ride was pretty uneventful. It was a perfect morning to get my winter commute jumpstarted. I plan on doing it more often now that school is out for the semester.

robc

Post by robc » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:04 am

Had a very unique experience today. Was doing a ride to Laplace and back, and it was borderline hot so I decided to go with shorts and sleeveless jersey. As soon as I get near Manchac the temp starts to drop very suddenly. I'm thinking a front is moving through or something. But then it just keeps getting colder. I get near the pass and its freezing cold! Felt like a walk-in freezer. I'm starting to worry and thinking I'm going to have to turn around soon because its just too cold, and even then might have to push it hard to keep body heat up. I get about 1/2 mile past the bridge and it suddenly warms up again.

I guess all the freezing weather has made the lake water icy cold, and while the air temperature was hot, the wind passing over the lake just acted like a cooler.
People in Manchac are probably calling the weatherman a liar.
Portland- where the dream of the 90s is still alive today.