Oak Mtn News

Moderators: ratboy, vudu

crosstown

Oak Mtn News

Post by crosstown » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:25 pm

Hey guys. Thought I would post some news from up here in Birmingham and maybe entice a road trip from some of you guys. Last year, BUMP completed a new section of trail that added about 5 miles to the trail that goes from the south trailhead, around the lake, and exits right at the old entrance for the south trailhead across from the boat launch area. It's fairly smooth single and double track and is a good addition, especially for ss'ing. Recently BUMP has also finished a trail on top of the mtn that runs along the fire road, not sure how long it is, I think about 2 miles or so, but I have heard they are planning to put about 5 or so in total, trying to get the entire trail to roughly 30 miles. The new section oriented for technical to advanced riders and contains a lot of large rock/ boulder riding, not as serious as blood rock but same concept just flatter. I haven't ridden it yet due to injury but I found this video and thought I would post it here for you guys to take a look at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JDj261tdxY

The new website looks great and it looks like you guys are doing a lot for the mtb community down there with the tt series and LAXC series. Best of luck with continuing to grow the club and I hope to get back down there soon to get some rides in out at the spillway. And if you guys make it up to Birmingham drop me a line.

Stewart
When presented with a chance to be great, either the moment defines you or you define the moment.....

vudu

Re: Oak Mtn News

Post by vudu » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:06 am

very nice Stewart!! thanks for the video.. was looking for the the like button... had to make my own... :D
likebutton.jpg
likebutton.jpg (2.76 KiB) Viewed 7754 times
What we have here, little yellow sister, is a magnificent specimen of pure Alabama Blacksnake. But it ain't too goddamned beau coup.

8-ball
http://www.laxcseries.com

robc

Post by robc » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:07 pm

That vid looks like some fun stuff!! And great views too!

I think the other Bham area trails, Tannehill and Trussville, which are both BUMP maintained, were getting some additions over the past year also. I remember seeing some pics of big rock trail work at one of them.
I'm pastdue for an OM trip!
Portland- where the dream of the 90s is still alive today.

robc

Post by robc » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:42 am

Do not trust that video!! The trail is at least 4x harder than it looks in the video!
Got to ride it this weekend, its a nice change of pace from the super fast stuff. But man its technical in spots, had to dab a foot several times. Its pretty flat though, except for one fun downhill at the end, wish it was more up and down like that. It has a couple nice mountainous overlooks though.

I volunteered at a water station for the race and was talking to a bump volunteer about it. About 2 miles are completed, there is another section that is rideable but not finished, but apparently its even harder, like trials obstacles. Their plan is to have a singletrack option for that entire ridgeline doubletrack. They thought about including it in the race, but were afraid local racers would come out and move rocks to dumb it down. So hard to say if you will see any of it in future races or not.
Portland- where the dream of the 90s is still alive today.

crosstown

Post by crosstown » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:20 pm

Hey wanted to give you guys an update on BUMP's newest development up here in Birmingham. Recently they have released their plans for phase III of the Oak Mtn state park trail system. Here's the link to a powerpoint showing maps and explanations of their plans, http://www.bump.org/phaseIII . It really is going to be impressive once it is completed. Check the link for the interactive map that shows all the new additions.

As for now they have the 3 sections on top of the red road that bypass the fire road and are intermediate/ advanced trails and really fun to ride. They start at the kiosk/ bench at the top of the fire road climb, and continue all the way to the BUMP trail and then intersect above Blood Rock. They are really rocky with off camber lines over large, 20-30ft boulders, and technical, steep switchbacks that really make you work the bike and pick good lines to get through.

You guys need to make a trip up this fall before too long and ride the new sections, they are definitely worth the trip. They also have made it possible to park at the top of mountain, past the south trailhead up that long road, right near where the red road comes out. You can enter a trail there that connects to about 50ft before Blood Rock, then ride the whole top of the ridge on the new section to the bench/kiosk, then turn around and ride it back, I think I heard it's about 8 miles or so.
When presented with a chance to be great, either the moment defines you or you define the moment.....

crosstown

Post by crosstown » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:57 pm

Here's another update on OMSP. Video is of the new new section up on top of the ridge, from the kiosk at the top of the red road climb, is about 1.5 miles then crosses the fire road and meets up with the new section they made this last winter. Enjoy guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IfVK0eDugc

crosstown

Post by crosstown » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:25 am

A couple weeks ago BUMP finished up the lower section of the flow trail they have been working on over the last couple months. So far there have been a lot of good responses from people riding it, there have also been a good amount of injuries from people riding beyond their abilities on it. The trail was built by local volunteers and professional trail building crew and it is very impressive. People have been comparing it to similar flow trails seen in Utah. The trail was built as an advanced level trail and is very fast with several table tops, step ups, drops, and steep banking burms. It starts at the top of boy scout camp road and is easily accessible.

Here is a recent video from the trail. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph_P_IJS ... e=youtu.be

I know some of you guys have 150mm+ travel bikes that don't get much in Louisiana so here is a trail that's close enough for a weekend trip. I haven't heard when they expect to start on the upper section of the trail but it is suppose to extend all the way to the top of the jeep road and start at the kiosk near the top of the red road climb.

LSU_engr

Post by LSU_engr » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:56 am

I saw it the week before Christmas when I rode. Didn't know what it was or how to get to it, but sounds like it was for the best anyway. It was my first trip to Oak Mountain and the trail was perfect. The new Jekyll and Hide section was rough, but will get nice once it has been ridden enough. Toad's was awesome.
High on tri

crosstown

Post by crosstown » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:00 pm

Don't know how many of you guys have had a chance to ride Jekyll and Hyde, West Ridge, or Boulder Ridge but these new trails were built earlier this year and are also intermediate to advanced trails. They were made to be difficult, meaning not smooth fast single track. So far there hasn't been too much unauthorized trail work done but I can say that when we were building the trails, rocks/boulders were placed strategically making the lines difficult intentionally.

LSU_engr

Post by LSU_engr » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:18 pm

Road West Ridge, but not enough guts to ride boulder ridge alone. Had to pick up family in Nashville, so could not put more injury risk in the equation. Never ridden rocks, so west ridge and hyde were both a challenge.
High on tri

That's us

Post by That's us » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:26 am

Ok that video looks like this is a trail I must check out! Where is this at (since I have no idea)? How many miles of trail are out there too? Great video, great modest mouse song, and sweet wrb STi at the beginning of the video!
"there's someone in my head, but it's not me" R. Waters

LSU_engr

Post by LSU_engr » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:48 pm

Cody,

It's in Birmingham, AL. Pelham to be precise, but that is just south of bham. I rode most of the entire loop the week before Christmas and clocked in at like 23-24 miles. Did some back tracking a couple of times so not quite sure of the exact. Their website www.bump.org shows around 25-26 miles of trail. I didn't do the boulder ridge or the flow trail, but hit everything else I believe. Awesome trail, definitely worth a weekend camping trip for you and your wife.
High on tri