Latest Update on the Spillway Trail

Moderators: ratboy, vudu

wddamf

Latest Update on the Spillway Trail

Post by wddamf » Mon May 12, 2008 5:50 pm

I surveyed about a quarter of the trail today - lots of good news! The weeds are gone, the smell is gone, the long bridge and the teeter are still standing and in good shape, and the trail looks pretty darn good! There's about 3" of new "land" covering EVERYTHING - the high spots are dry but the low areas are still muddy. The mud is pretty sticky and grabs on to your boots when you walk - what's weird is that under the layer of wet mud, the ground is totally dry! The A-frame bridge near the teeter is about 10 yards north of where it's supposed to be, as is the A-frame bridge at the trail head. We should be able to move them back into place pretty easily (with some manpower). I didn't notice much bank erosion in the limited part I surveyed. There is some debris scattered on the trail that needs to be removed, but it's not bad. I can't really guess how long it'll take to completely dry out, but it shouldn't be too long at all based on how much of the trail is dry now - maybe by this weekend(?).

Only saw one snake, just a few mosquitoes, and one alligator that was eyeballing me like I was "dinner" (but he kept his distance). Another really weird thing out there is all the animal tracks on the trail! It looks like they had an animal marathon out there - birds, raccoons, coyotes, and a couple of large wild hogs have been running up and down the trail - pretty amazing!
Dan Dickerson

"George is gettin' upset!!!"

vtrider

Re: Latest Update on the Spillway Trail

Post by vtrider » Wed May 14, 2008 11:34 am

Thanks for update, any plans for work?

Steve

cannondale-tim

Post by cannondale-tim » Wed May 14, 2008 7:17 pm

Thanks for the update Dan. Any news on the dirt jumps?

wddamf

Post by wddamf » Wed May 14, 2008 8:14 pm

Steve - we kinda have to wait and see when the top layer of mud dries before scheduling a work day (obviously this rain won't help). I might go out this weekend and do some solo work if I have time and depending on how much rain we get in the next couple of days.

Tim - from 20 yards away, I think the jumps look OK (I didn't get up close to them). They suffered some mild to moderate erosion and will need to be reshaped, but nothing that can't be pretty easily repaired.
Dan Dickerson

wddamf

Post by wddamf » Tue May 20, 2008 5:36 pm

5-20-08: It's much better but the Spillway's still soft and muddy :x Probably could get some work done now but it would be difficult working conditions - I'm gonna let it dry another week and check it again. Stay tuned.

stu

Post by stu » Wed May 21, 2008 7:09 am

How far did you go back? Have we accessed the entire loop?

Is it worth it to do work on a portion this weekend?

wddamf

Post by wddamf » Wed May 21, 2008 8:22 am

I haven't walked the whole thing but Brent did and reports a couple of trees down, one section of trail that needs to be rerouted due to erosion, and various debris that needs to be removed - again, not too bad. All I checked yesterday was the front section of the trail and saw that the mud was still soft - which means the low areas of the rest of the trail are the same. Anyone who wants to start working is welcome to do so but I figured we'd wait till the mud dried to call an official work day.
Dan Dickerson

ratboy

Post by ratboy » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:14 pm

about 8 of were at the trail sunday. we finisshed the trail suprisingly. it is ready to ride. take advantage of the dry weather while we have it
Eric

ratboy

Post by ratboy » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:14 pm

the trail is in great shape right now. get out and ride those bikes. it is damn near perfect
Eric

skubasteve

Post by skubasteve » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:48 am

I went out to ride the trail yesterday after work and was glad to see a bunch of other people out there riding. The trail is in great shape since the work day, thanks to all who were able to get it back in shape. It does have some sandy sections and some weird baked in ruts but I think the more it is ridden that will go away. I really like the 2 new ladder bridges in the trail. I was able to jump the first one and the one after the teeter is a challenge to hit after going over the teeter with speed, very nice work!

I will try to be out after work mid week weather permitting, riding around 615pm.

enduro130

Post by enduro130 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:41 pm

skubasteve wrote:The trail is in great shape since the work day, thanks to all who were able to get it back in shape.
I was the one riding behind you. And I agree with you. I went out and saw some of the damage to the trail after the water receded, and i think yall did a good job repairing and improving the trail. And i too like the new ladder bridges, its nice to have new things like that. So thanks to all who maintains everything. And ill look forward to going out there and riding with yall next week. But im sure ill be out there before then lol.

-tyler
-Tyler