Sat. 12/12 Trail Re-Routes & Scouting

Moderators: ratboy, vudu

stu

Sat. 12/12 Trail Re-Routes & Scouting

Post by stu » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:41 am

With all this rain this week (more predicted to come on Friday) will be a good opportunity to scout the trail for reroutes. I am available Saturday morning if anyone else wants to show up and help. Prob meet up around 8ish.

Things I can recall that need to be scouted/repaired:
1. Recent cut right-of-way before Chu-chut (bring route closer to canal)
2. Sharp turn near S. Canada (needs to be pulled up away from low spot)
3. Mud holes after turn-around (re-route, look for ridge near north-bound trail)
4. Muddy sections of Headless Horse, not sure if this needs to be re-routed (maybe we can look for a high ridge) or just fill with limestone, or plastic pallets.
5. Take another look at the FF connection to bypass the ditch in the right-of-way (this is tricky because Dan did this originally and it was too low – but maybe we can build something here).
6. As per Eric, fix mudhole before rooty climb in Up-Chuck

Some of this may have to be cut later, but some of it can be done while we scout.

What to bring: machetes, shovels, rakes, boots (water-proof), insect repellent, water, etc.

wddamf

Re: Sat. 12/12 Trail Re-Routes & Scouting

Post by wddamf » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:20 pm

Concerning number five:

I looked at this pretty hard before my accident and you're better off going down the middle of the right away. Just throw a piece of grading over the ditch. If you build a bridge there, the brush hog will just destroy it. That little FF connection is just too low to do anything with.
Dan Dickerson

"George is gettin' upset!!!"

stu

Re: Sat. 12/12 Trail Re-Routes & Scouting

Post by stu » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:56 pm

Scouting mission is canceled due to rain & cold. I ok with either/or just not both (not worth getting anyone sick).

FF: Yeah, I remembered you mentioning that also riding it right after you cut it (soggy from what I recall). Seems as though FF didn't survive long before we abandoned it to the current sharp turn to clearing. My thought process here was to try to salvage FF to bypass the ditch and keep in the woods for a little further before hooking back into the clearing. I don't recall crossing that ditch on the old FF, right? Do you think any of FF is salvageable? I am not opposed to build a narrow elevated section to stay in the woods then hook to the right about even with the dirt jumps. Maybe it's not worth the effort, just thinking.