January work day

Moderators: ratboy, vudu

vtrider

January work day

Post by vtrider » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:54 am

In preparation for workday, we need to begin to get some material for filling mud and low spots assuming we are going to concentrate on shoring up there areas on the first work day of the new year. Anyone that can get grating, limestone, lumber etc. lets plan on getting in to the Spillway on our first work day next year. The meeting is to close to the work day to begin thinking about rounding up material to use. I have bricks that I can bring, Rhys is working on getting a load of limestone and Delana has been getting some scrap grating for us. Thanks to those working on this and have a Happy New year.

Steve

vtrider

Re: January work day

Post by vtrider » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:53 pm

Just a reminder Sunday is a work day we will be filling in low and mud spots with limestone shovel and rake are only tools needed. I will be there @ 7 to start working on Gazz with Stu and cutting new pipeline trail. 9am is official time.

Thanks, Steve

stu

Post by stu » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:39 pm

Eric can chime in here, but as I understand it upon talking with him today – the concentration on the workday will be spreading limestone in (2) low spots in “Headless Horse” (one section where the narrow metal grating lies), the remainder will be spread in “FF Connection” towards the dirt jumps and levee climb.

As Sally pointed out, he and I will meet at the trailhead early for 7 AM, hike to “GAZZ” to fix the erosion area and chainsaw (1) fallen tree (Sally – don’t forget your chainsaw). I plan to weed-eat the “Chu-Chut” by-pass in the grassy area and smooth the remainder of the re-route. We should complete all of this before 9 and meeting everyone back at the trailhead.

Tools to bring (if you have them): shovel, machete, garden rake (metal claw), water, etc. Weather should be mild, hopefully we won’t get much rain tomorrow or Saturday.

ratboy

Post by ratboy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:13 pm

yes, we will be working on spreading the limestone in one spot on headless horse and the rest will go on the ff connection towards the levee.
Eric

stu

Post by stu » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:18 am

Update, Ricky did 3 laps yest said the trail was primo (just in time for the rain, blah!)

Sally - Rick said he didn't see any spot that needed a chainsaw. Just light branches encroaching the trail which we could machete or pull back in the vicinity of the erosion area. So one less thing to carry in.

Rhys/Tim - Ricky said the Chu-Chut by-pass flowed well, the gully area was not tacky but felt 'soft' when riding through it. I expect that this area may be sloppy after the rain. We'll need to get a bridge built here soon. In comparison Rick walked through the old trail across the right-of-way to the entrance of Chu-Chut and everything is rutted, wet, sloppy, and unrideable. We have no choice to by-pass this section.

stu

Post by stu » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:06 pm

Special thanks to everyone that made it out to the workday today. Off the top of my head, I am pretty sure we had about 20 people (or more). By far one of the best turn-outs we've had in a long while.

Breaking News: Headless Horse in now paved!!! Well not entirely true, but pretty darn close. You will notice a significant difference in elevation in the front section of Headless Horse now. We concentrated most the of the workday dumping limestone in this area up to Freesons.

Rhys and I scouted a new return section in the same wooded area of Headless Horse. Something may get worked in over the next few weeks. For now, the right-of-way along the dirt jumps is muddy, rutty, and unridable so you will have to ride the Headless Horse backwards to get out.

We have barricaded the trailhead for now to deter riders from riding while conditions are wet. This will allow the limestone to harden also.

THANKS to all that came out today (including the Corps ATV driver), if this is any indication of what the New Year will be like, we are in-store for an exciting one!

A few photos from today (someone remind me next time - group photo).
Dsc00773a.jpg
The shovel crew
Dsc00775a.jpg
Rhys, his fabric, and a pile of rock...
Dsc00776a.jpg
Rhys, his carpet, and whiteys...

ratboy

Post by ratboy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:39 am

i would like to thank everyone who showed up for the workday. without your help what, we accomplished yesterday, could not have been done without you. i hope this is a sign of things to come for the new year. as soon as the ground dries up i am looking at having a group ride at either the spillway or a the trail in brookhaven.

again thank you for your help.
Eric

vtrider

Post by vtrider » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:44 pm

I would also like to thank everyone that came to lend a hand on the work day. Thanks to Eric for hooking up the ATV and trailer that made everything go very fast and thanks to Rhys for the limestone. I talking with Stu, Eric,and Rhys we are going to do more work this Sat morning The weather is good and weeds are dead so we are trying to do a lot of work now ,to allow plenty of riding is spring and summer even with some rain showers. I think the plan is to cut new section of trail in front to bypass ff connection that is not ridable at all. Also thanks to Rhys and Stu for working on MLK day to build bridge and scout new trail they are @ the trail now. Anyone wanting to help this Sat I will be there @ 7am.

Steve

stu

Post by stu » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:36 pm

The FF by-pass is not possible. Will have to try and slavage FF Connection unless someone has a better idea.

We need to do some group brainstorming to fix the concrete bags area opposite of the bridge we built today. It will need to be twice as long. We did find some old 6X4s (12-footers) Dan hid in the woods. There's a bunch of them. With the 20' telephone poles Ryan said he can get form BR, maybe we can get something going in the next few weeks.

wddamf

Post by wddamf » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:32 pm

I'm glad y'all found the 4" x 6"'s -- I have a few more of them here at the house -- just let me know when you want to come get them. I also have a 15' x 20' section of carpet you can have (it's a tight Berber which should be good for trail reinforcement). It's in the tear down house so y'all will have to yank it up off the floor. Y'all could also chainsaw the front porch of the tear down house and use it as a bridge because it's all pressure treated lumber.
Dan Dickerson

"George is gettin' upset!!!"

stu

Post by stu » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:49 pm

We are definitely going to make "Dan's front porch" into a bridge!!!

vtrider

Post by vtrider » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 pm

Stu, by pass to left on trail sign not possible? There was a short trail in there a while back to get you to the old trail head. to low or what?

Steve

stu

Post by stu » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:01 pm

vtrider wrote:Stu, by pass to left on trail sign not possible? There was a short trail in there a while back to get you to the old trail head. to low or what?

Steve
Too low. We walked it yesterday and the best route would be zig-zag straight towards the levee but then you reach that pond and would have to build a significant bridge across. If you turn towards the trailhead it gets even worse (very low and standing water). There are some higher ridges in there but not enough to justify the effort. I think Dan and Eric were on the right track to stay out of these areas.

I think our only option is to lay an elevated section in FF Connection (besides the dirt jumps) back to the levee. Hopefully before the next workday, Rhys can score another load of limestone and we can get a large turn-out like Sunday to build an artificial sidewalk (for lack of better description) out of limestone.

Saturday we are looking to drive some 4x’s to the canal side of the cement bags opposite of the new "Khufu Bridge" to build a new bridge to wooden berm turn. Rhys is going to try and get out there take some measurements so we can estimate a bill of materials. This bridge will be very similar to the one that is built at Brookhaven.

vtrider

Post by vtrider » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:51 pm

Didn't know that area was so low and wet. As for ff connection there is also the pile of mud you ride around that can be used to elevate the slop section in addition to limestone.

Steve

Larry H

Post by Larry H » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:26 pm

How did that Carpet Y'all put down turn out?
Have you used the Carpet before, or was the first time.
Like the idea of the Bread Crates.
Looking for a quick easy solution on some very bad wet spots at Comite.

Thanks
Larry