Spillway opening ?

Moderators: ratboy, vudu

vtrider

Spillway opening ?

Post by vtrider » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:41 am

Talking with Eric on Sat there is a possibility that the Corp may have to open the spillway. We need to do some work before if this happens. 3 bridges need to be secured so they don't float away. I am going to secure the first bridge @ trail head Thursday but the wide bridge by teeter totter needs to be secured and the flat bridge in large pipeline. Dan has 2 stakes holding that bridge in place but I think we need more because the water may stay for a month or longer and the current can get strong. anyone who wants to do some work can work on this, anyone who has any 4x4's that can be donated too, this would help. Hope the berm will be ok too. If we prepare for this it will make recovery after a lot faster. Hope that it isn't opened but we need to be ready. Thanks to everyone who has been helping with weed spraying.

Thanks, Steve

Tanstaafl

Re: Spillway opening ?

Post by Tanstaafl » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:06 pm

I wouldn't be to worried about the corp opening the spillway for a couple weeks at least (although everybody at work does think the river is going to get way up this year and I agree with them). The 28 day river forecast only shows us getting up to ~13' on the carrolton gage, and we were above that back in february. I know spring 2009 the river got up to 16' or so and they still didn't open the spillway. I'm not sure what that does to the water level in the canals though.

In case you've never seen them you can access the river gage data here:

Mississippi River Forecast Center: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/lmrfc/?n=lmrfc- ... erforecast
New Orleans River Gage: http://ahps.srh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrogra ... 5,6&type=0
28 Day River Forecast Center: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/lmrfc/?n=ms_extended_forecast

TimT

Post by TimT » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:22 pm

The wife's in the Coast Guard and according to her in a brief she got on Friday the chances are going down that the spillway is not going to open. The river will get high for sure. The reason was there was heavy snow but not much rain fall after wards.

Tim

lsubrett

Post by lsubrett » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:00 am

How would this effect the trail? Would it be closed for a while? How long?
"Adversity introduces a man to himself"

finkle

Post by finkle » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:28 pm

lsubrett wrote:How would this effect the trail? Would it be closed for a while? How long?
It would be under water.

TimT

Post by TimT » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:32 pm

http://www2.mvr.usace.army.mil/WaterCon ... layout.cfm

Flood stage is at 17 and it is currantly at 6 and dropping.

Tim

vtrider

Post by vtrider » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:52 pm

Thanks, for all the valuable info. Do not want to see it open, but we can take some precautions now to secure those bridges while it is dry and water is low.

Steve

LSU_engr

Post by LSU_engr » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:51 pm

TimT wrote: Flood stage is at 17 and it is currantly at 6 and dropping.
Tim
Just FYI, the 6.0 is incorrect on the summary page. If you look at the hydrograph, it is actually near 12.0 (around 11.7). That is a typo on the front. Projected peak is only at around 13.0 though, so shouldn't be an issue.
High on tri

Monkey Boy

Post by Monkey Boy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:11 pm

TimT wrote:The wife's in the Coast Guard and according to her in a brief she got on Friday the chances are going down that the spillway is not going to open. The river will get high for sure. The reason was there was heavy snow but not much rain fall after wards.

Tim
You Cheri's husband?
"(Bleep)...that's gonna leave a mark." C.Farley

TimT

Post by TimT » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:35 am

Yep. She uses her maiden name when doing USCG stuff. You know 20 years as one name then a change and now nobody knows you. Do you know her?

Tim

stu

Post by stu » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:08 am

The links that Tanstaafl posted are good; I use these sites daily in my day job.

What Tim has stated seems apparent as the raw (predicted) data is contradicting all reports that the Spillway would be opened with the heavy winter precipitation in the north (flatline - http://ahps.srh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrogra ... gage=norl1). Typically you would think rain and snow is one of the same but snow melt doesn’t always drain to rivers as easily as rain does. So the USCG report makes sense to me. Especially since we are one day away from April and the predicted hydrographs are basically flat. If that remains as such for the majority of April, I doubt they would even have to pull needles (they can pull needles without technically opening it – which would still flood the trail) as they did last year.

Steve’s intentions are good with the ‘just incase factor’ however, I would rely heavily on these forecast sites for overall timing and planning.

Monkey Boy

Post by Monkey Boy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:27 am

TimT wrote:Yep. She uses her maiden name when doing USCG stuff. You know 20 years as one name then a change and now nobody knows you. Do you know her?

Tim
Yep, been a dozen + years since we were both in BR and camped/rode/roadtripped with the BRAMBA crew. I think you came by my house in Austin with her once many years ago. Tell her Brian says hi. So now you're the mtber in the family, I guess lunacy rubs off. :lol:
"(Bleep)...that's gonna leave a mark." C.Farley

TimT

Post by TimT » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:24 pm

http://www.weather.gov/view/largemap.php

here's another interesting map with all the flood warnings in the lower 48. Could give us a heads up.

Tim
PS we may want to sticky all the web sites for further use.

ratboy

Post by ratboy » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:20 pm

as far as the workday goes. there is a re-route that we need to do. we will need weedeaters and chainsaws.
Eric