Bridge repair and shoring

Moderators: ratboy, vudu

TimT

Bridge repair and shoring

Post by TimT » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:58 pm

Stopped by the bridge that needs shoring up on my ride today. Looks like about 36 feet on the spillway side of the peninsula and about 15 or so feet on the levee side. That's a lot of wood if we want to make a bulk head. So how about using sand bags to shore it up? Worked on the 17th street canal breach. I'm positive Rhys can get them from the parish. It would be pretty simple just any one with a shovel. Any way we decide it will have to be taken care of soon.

Tim

Lets_Ride

Re: Bridge repair and shoring

Post by Lets_Ride » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:58 am

Sandbags sound like an awesome idea. You got my vote. Eric and I were talking about the next meeting or even a special meeting where everybody who wants to have input into Winter projects can voice their opinions and vote. Don't show for the meeting - don't have a say. That way we can avoid this tendancy to decide one thing at the meeting and then change it all up in a BS session at the trail.
SS/HT/FS/RD (Anything on two wheels)

Ryan

stu

Post by stu » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:19 am

I'll add to this, it would be a very good idea to present Meeting Agendas beforehand & follow up with Meeting Minutes after meetings are over. This was happening for a while but sort of loosened up the last few months (assuming with Benefit prep, etc.) The information needs to get put out to the masses regardless if they show up for a meeting or not. Save for intricate decisions on trail mods to the inner core - vote it or whatever.

We need to tally a list of things-to-do so everyone is one the same page. Off the top of my head: 1) hour glass bridge, 2) teeter bridge to A-frame, 3) shoring before turn-around, 4) 1st soft spot on the return (might be able to fix this), 5) mud hole before Pepperridge (I have a reroute in mind here).

Post up more items and ideas, let’s kick up some discussion.

Lets_Ride

Post by Lets_Ride » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:11 am

I am with Stu on this point. If we can make a list of projects before the meeting which we can publish, everyone can think about it before coming to the meeting. We can then prioritize the projects and have some well though out ideas on how to accomplish them. Absentees would also then be able to give input via the forums prior to the meeting. Votes would be taken and final decisions made at the meeting and then we could start getting the sh!t done
SS/HT/FS/RD (Anything on two wheels)

Ryan

TimT

Post by TimT » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:08 pm

I would humbly suggest that our number one project be the shoring up of the hour glass bridge. There is no reroute available and is going away fast.

Tim

vudu

Post by vudu » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:13 pm

I second that humble suggestion...
What we have here, little yellow sister, is a magnificent specimen of pure Alabama Blacksnake. But it ain't too goddamned beau coup.

8-ball
http://www.laxcseries.com