Wednesday Unofficial Workday 12/22/10

Moderators: ratboy, vudu

breaux

Re: Wednesday Unofficial Workday 12/22/10

Post by breaux » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:16 am

Tim has a point. Need to be mindful how this is handled. Last thing we want is to make things worse.

Has anyone actually run into any horse riders? Anyone talk with any of them? Wondering if they're riding the trail out of spite....or have no clue it's bicycle only.

ratboy

Post by ratboy » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:38 am

They have been told several times by individuals in the club that they are not allowed on the trail . But they continue to do it
Eric

breaux

Post by breaux » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:49 am

Excuse my questions. Being my first season out I'm not aware of the full history.

Is it the same group of riders? Local club? Or just random people that hear about the trail?

I understand NOMAMBO has permission to build and maintain the trail. Other than that what are the limits of our authority? What can/should I say if I run into any horse folks?

vtrider

Post by vtrider » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:14 pm

I think this should be handled through the corp or St. charles parish whom ever polices the spillway property not a NOMAMBO rider or officer. signs with warnings and phone # will be best in my opinion. Would Dan be able to help with this he has a lot of contacts with corp?

Steve

TimT

Post by TimT » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:44 pm

I've stopped 2 riders about ready to enter the trail via the old entrance. They knew all about the area set aside for them to ride. But they wanted to ride our trails anyways. :evil: I want to put up some gates at the old trail entrance, FF connection, Dan's trail and both ends of the pipeline. With signage. Any way we can get the Friends of the Spillway to foot the bill for signs with maybe a map showing them were to go?

Tim

breaux

Post by breaux » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:45 pm

I actually for the Corps myself. Just not familiar with who the contacts are....both the NOMAMBO side (other than Eric) and on the Corps side. Don't know the agreement between Corps and MAMBO. So I'm kinda following everyone's lead on this. Don't want to run off on my own or ingnore any chain-of-command that's already in place.

But if I can help let me know.....

stu

Post by stu » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:18 pm

Ricky posted 4 of his new signs today (I'm sure he'll post photos) and Rhys and I got the trail back up & running - even better than before. I am awaiting response from my email yesterday (sent to the USACE). Stay tuned for more details (we’ll discuss in detail at the next meeting).

One of the examples I am trying to point out the Corp is the safety hazards that the horses cause. A great example of this is a hole (photo below) Rhys and I found & filled on the out trail opposite of the Rat Tail. Everyone usually rides this section with a lot of speed, if someone had hit this hole, your front tire would have been swallowed and you would have been airborne for sure.

12-21-10c.jpg
Horse hoof print collapsed to hole (est. 20" long X 8" wide)

vudu

Post by vudu » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:37 pm

i was able to have the signs made..
$25.00 for the post
$40.00 for the signs

keeping the horses out of the trail...
Priceless
photo-7.jpg
as you enter the boat launch and trailhead area
photo-8.jpg
photo-9.jpg
old trail entrance
photo-10.jpg
F.F. Connection
photo-11.jpg
Dan's trail entrance
Also added a new sign on the trailhead sign..

Will be out there tomorrow morning working the Zephyr and Gazz sections if anyone can make it..
What we have here, little yellow sister, is a magnificent specimen of pure Alabama Blacksnake. But it ain't too goddamned beau coup.

8-ball
http://www.laxcseries.com

breaux

Post by breaux » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:24 pm

stu wrote: I am awaiting response from my email yesterday (sent to the USACE).
Who did you send the email to? I'll see if I can stop by their office to follow up.

TimT

Post by TimT » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:47 am

I have a feeling the signs are not going to work...but we can make this. PVC pipe filled with concrete or round posts.

http://www.livestockshed.com/cattle_gua ... uards.html

http://www.cattle-guards.com/

Tim

breaux

Post by breaux » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:25 am

I agree the signs aren't going to stop the. But they are a good first step. They at least serve as a notice so no one can plead ignorant if they're out on the trail.

Homemade sections of cattle guard are probably the best option.

Lets_Ride

Post by Lets_Ride » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:16 am

I started a thread on MTBR under general discussion on this and one of the points made was that horses are capable of fairly high and fairly long jumps. It seems thebest deterent is always going to be an overhead obstacle. I think the arbor or a more simple "arch" is the easiest to construct and would use the least amount of expensive materials.
SS/HT/FS/RD (Anything on two wheels)

Ryan

vudu

Post by vudu » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:49 pm

was out there this morning.. looking at the the corps official "rules and regulations" sign that is posted on our trailhead bulletin board, it clearing states that horses are not allowed in the recreation areas or on the trail.. i will have additional signage made referencing that article #. we just need to get people informed and have the corp back us...

on a side note, i raked Zephyr and Gazz sections and filled the holes left in those areas.. rhys and stu showed up to ride, did a lap with them.. they did a great job yesterday in the back sections.. the trail is in awesome shape, get out and enjoy it while you can... :D
What we have here, little yellow sister, is a magnificent specimen of pure Alabama Blacksnake. But it ain't too goddamned beau coup.

8-ball
http://www.laxcseries.com

Monkey Boy

Post by Monkey Boy » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:07 pm

TimT wrote:I have a feeling the signs are not going to work...but we can make this. PVC pipe filled with concrete or round posts.

http://www.livestockshed.com/cattle_gua ... uards.html

http://www.cattle-guards.com/

Tim
If you can find them cheaply, galvanized fence posts, like for hurricane fencing works. Cheri may be able to explain the raised ones they have at Bluff Creek Ranch in Warda a little better to you. The longhorn calves would jump the low ones at the fence gaps for the trail so they built knee high elevated sections that are ramped on both sized w/plywood.

Still, it's a lot of work for nothing if some determined ass monkey's ignore the signs and just find a way to ride around it.

Edit: If you wanted specifics you could probably ping Doc Nolan on the "ask the bike doc" forum on TMBRA. It's his ranch.
"(Bleep)...that's gonna leave a mark." C.Farley