Wednesday Unofficial Workday 12/22/10

Moderators: ratboy, vudu

stu

Wednesday Unofficial Workday 12/22/10

Post by stu » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:30 pm

A few people may be off work this week and I was looking to do some touch-ups and work on some reroutes on Wednesday. Eric has some ideas for lengthening the trail in one section and if he marks this off before Wed. we can cut it. I am also going to cut a small by-pass reroute around those mud holes in the low section after the turn-around. There are several holes in the back that need patching also, so I think we can get all this done in a few hours if we get a few to show.

Wed. 8am - meet at Dan's trail. I'll bring my tamper, claw-rake, garden-rake, and shovel. If anyone can get the club mcLeoud that would be great.

TimT

Re: Wednesday Unofficial Workday 12/22/10

Post by TimT » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:03 am

I rode the trail this morning .I would suggest not to do any trail improvements as the horses have torn up the trail.Its really bad, crap on the trail, holes every were. I'd suggest horse gates be built instead. They are coming in at Dan's trail, the old entrance, the FF connection and the pipe line. For Dan's trail I pulled out of the woods about 12 old truck tires plus some old rusted car parts and reblocked the trail. The weekend before me and Eric pulled an old boat out of the woods and put down some logs. At the FF connection I think we should use the telephone pole cross ties that are sitting there and make a wall right at the creek bed. Take down Ricky's bridge and make an up and over. So we can cross but the horses can't. The wall should be at least 5 foot high. With about a 3' high "gate" were the up and over should be. Do the same thing at the pipe line were the trails come in and out of the woods.(4 up and overs) and then at the old entrance put a stagger gate. Think "S" turn.
I probably won't be able to help to after Christmas.
I also think we should put up some signage to tell the horse people were they can ride. Maybe ask the Corp to pay for it.\\

Tim

stu

Post by stu » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:40 pm

See my email I just sent you Tim.

I think if horses really want in, they'll find a way. We need to stress to the Corps to enforce and post signage to fines to prevent access. Or we abandon the trail all together, it's either or - the two of us can not coincide.

ratboy

Post by ratboy » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:02 pm

The problem is we are being told that they are being told that they are not allowed on the trail. But, we all know that the director is either lying to us or the horse riders just aren't listening. Ricky is getting some signs made posting a $500 fine, though we know that is not enforceable by us. We still should put up some type of barrier to try and keep them off.
If any one is going out there, I have four poles that could be used for a barrier at Dan's trail. Just let me know. I will drop them behind the trail head sign
Eric

breaux

Post by breaux » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:21 am

I have a suggestion. Place arbors along the trail at strategic locations. They will be too narrow, and have no headroom, for horses to get through. Put them in locations where it will be impossible, or extremely difficult, for them to go around.

http://www.finegardening.com/CMS/upload ... nt_xlg.jpg

They'll serve a few purposes. They cut off access by not allowing horses to fit through. By making the trial more of a pain in the ass to ride it'll be less fun and perhaps they'll go elsewhere. Signage can be placed at each one so the message is clear - no horses allowed. And if they tear them down it makes our case they they are destructive to the trail.

For us they have some benefits as well. If done right they can look nice and be an attractive part of the trail. Shows we're putting time, money, and effort into maintaining the trial...which helps our cause. And may keep the horses out.

Lets_Ride

Post by Lets_Ride » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:48 am

Awesome idea with the arbors. Easy and inexpensive to build and can also be used for events such as ROTD etc to hang props.
SS/HT/FS/RD (Anything on two wheels)

Ryan

breaux

Post by breaux » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:15 am

For the arbors to work placement is key. Need to be enough of them, at the right locations, to be a sufficient deterent.

My first thought was using something similar to cattle guards. But they'd be harder to implement.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/fsp ... igure3.jpg

http://www.alhann.com/NM2007/Day5-6/Apa ... _1200w.jpg

stu

Post by stu » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:43 am

You'd need gates outlying both side of the arbor for it to work. Our first line of defense needs to be abundant posted signage at strategic locations of entry and access. At least if they go in around these points you can argue they clearly bypassed the easier entry which was posted the trespassing.

I’ll be working out there tomorrow and Wednesday and we’re going to get some stuff posted and fixed. I’ll chime in daily on our progress here and on the trail conditions thread.

breaux

Post by breaux » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:01 am

Yeah, signage is key and should be the first step. Clearly post at each trail entrance that horses aren't allowed. Also, a contact number and/or directions to horse friendly trails.

I agree with Stu that if they want to get on the trail they'll find a way. The arbors won't stop them completely. Just a speed bump really. But with enough signs and speed bumbs maybe the message will get through.

Do they have a forum or club?

Monkey Boy

Post by Monkey Boy » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:08 pm

Yep, keeping horse riders out is tougher than ATV's. You block them in one place and they can just go 10' over and walk around a barrier. Even a little water won't deter them. The horse is getting the wet feet, not the rider. You'd have to string a cable thru the woods 2 high so they couldn't duck or jump it.

About all you could probably do is put in a bunch of headache bars on the trail so the riders keep having to dismount. Stuff a mtb rider can duck under a person on a horse can't always duck. You'd have to put it near a bunch of briars or they'd just go around or criss cross to the opposite side of the trail. Getting on/off will take the fun out of it. Getting wet/muddy feet would also be a deterrent this time of year.
"(Bleep)...that's gonna leave a mark." C.Farley

breaux

Post by breaux » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:40 pm

Monkey Boy wrote:About all you could probably do is put in a bunch of headache bars on the trail so the riders keep having to dismount. Stuff a mtb rider can duck under a person on a horse can't always duck. You'd have to put it near a bunch of briars or they'd just go around or criss cross to the opposite side of the trail. Getting on/off will take the fun out of it.
That's basically what I had in mind with the arbors. Place enough of them, in the right locations, to make horse riding a pain in the ass.

stu

Post by stu » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:22 pm

Despite all the horse talk, 3 of us still plan to go out and do some work on the trail Tuesday & Wednesday. If anyone is interested, post up here or call/text me, 985 eight five two 3447. We'll have tools, etc. Bring your bike, we'll ride also.

We'll meet up tomorrow morning at Dan's entrance, around 9ish.

Lets_Ride

Post by Lets_Ride » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:39 pm

Sorry man. Some of us still have to work. Have fun!
SS/HT/FS/RD (Anything on two wheels)

Ryan

stu

Post by stu » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:22 pm

Lets_Ride wrote:Sorry man. Some of us still have to work. Have fun!
What, your wife have you cooking and doing laundry again?

TimT

Post by TimT » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:59 pm

I think the signage should have contact info for the Corp so they can point them to the correct riding area. Otherwise they my set up booby traps for us.Thinking we threw them off the trail.
Tim