Re: Sunday

Post by Lets_Ride » Thu May 27, 2010 11:08 am

Sorry. No can do
SS/HT/FS/RD (Anything on two wheels)

Ryan

SULLY

Post by SULLY » Thu May 27, 2010 11:24 am

My wife and I are interested in going to Brookhaven. What time are you looking at?
And then it came time to descend Mountain Lion trail. Descending mountain lion is like drinking a Margarita through a crazy straw on a trampoline. It's like giving a dog Pop Rocks. It's like a knife fight with a monkey. It's like necking with an octopus. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=301909

stu

Post by stu » Thu May 27, 2010 11:35 am

Dang Ryan, does your wife ever let you off that leash? :D

Sully - last plans discussed was meeting up in Laplace around 6ish. I haven't got confirmation on everyone yet. A few were rocking on the fence on the Oak Mtn trip and this.

vtrider

Post by vtrider » Thu May 27, 2010 12:02 pm

Ryan, I am in town and will be @ Spillway Sat or Sun morning to ride.

Steve

SULLY

Post by SULLY » Thu May 27, 2010 12:14 pm

We just remembered a commitment we have on Saturday at 2, so i am out as far as Brookhaven goes. We will be at the Spillway early on Sat. and Sun. though.
And then it came time to descend Mountain Lion trail. Descending mountain lion is like drinking a Margarita through a crazy straw on a trampoline. It's like giving a dog Pop Rocks. It's like a knife fight with a monkey. It's like necking with an octopus. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=301909

1ridindirty

Post by 1ridindirty » Thu May 27, 2010 8:32 pm

Ryan, I can be easily pursuaded to ride Sunday Morning if I know you'll do a definite commit. Steve mentioned his availability as well. Stu mentioned him and Tim doing a Brookhaven dealeo on Saturday, I'm not sure on any road trips due to Memorial weekend, prior plans w/ time constraints. The Spillway will work better for me on both days this weekend, EARLY rides only.

Stu if you decide to Spillway Saturday rather than Brookhaven, let me know ! Appreciate the invite.

Later,

Big Wave Dave

stu

Post by stu » Fri May 28, 2010 7:59 pm

If any last minute riders want in, I have room for 2 more in my truck. Meeting in Laplace at the truck stop I-10 @ I-55 at 6am tomorrow morning. Looks like most of the bad weather is further northeast, so we should be fine in Brookhaven. I hope to be back early/mid- afternoon.

stu

Post by stu » Sat May 29, 2010 4:01 pm

Brookhaven was fast & dry = single-speed heaven. Even the "click-clack chunk mobile" (Tim the "Tool" & the belt drive) cleared almost all the hillage.

Johnny and Mark were even onsite cooking up burgers as we finished up. I landed a free Mt. Zion t-shirt. Coolness.

1ridindirty

Post by 1ridindirty » Sat May 29, 2010 5:35 pm

Sounded like a good ride fellas, glad the weather held up for ya'll. I will make an attempt to be there (spillway) in the a.m. around 7:15 or so if the weather holds up. I will continue to weather watch. I contacted Steve to inform him that a couple of us plan on riding. Spoke with Branden M and asked about Rusty's condition, he'll be out for a few weeks, with the collarbone issue, heal up soon Rusty !

A THOUGHT !!! The cypress knees that wiped out one of our comrades should either be painted for identification to clearly mark off for a visual reference or eradicated with a hatchet/axe, a future action item that will prevent others from the same injury. I actually caught a root with a low pedal and it was forgiving, so I can imagine hitting one of these.

Branden and I are tentively riding in the a.m. if the weather cooperates, if anyone cares to join in, show up to get in some mileage.

Ryan, Performance Magazine arrived today, there's a jersey that may interest you, 5th page or so, check it out !

Big Wave Dave

Tanstaafl

Post by Tanstaafl » Sat May 29, 2010 7:58 pm

1ridindirty wrote:A THOUGHT !!! The cypress knees that wiped out one of our comrades should either be painted for identification to clearly mark off for a visual reference or eradicated with a hatchet/axe, a future action item that will prevent others from the same injury. I actually caught a root with a low pedal and it was forgiving, so I can imagine hitting one of these.
Are the cypress knees those little stubs of wood that stick up out of the ground? If so, I'm pretty sure that's what caused me to wipe out about two weeks ago in one of the new reroutes by the canal. No major damage but was rather surprising to suddenly end up on my side in a rather uneventful part of the trail.

1ridindirty

Post by 1ridindirty » Sat May 29, 2010 8:53 pm

The knees are the growths that stick up at random near the cypress trees, little stumps. I'm sure there are others that hit these at one time or another as well. What you're talking about is probably a root from a tree, it could be a knee. Be careful and aware of pedal position near these protrusions, these rascals aren't forgiving and will throw you if the pedal/crank inadvertently strikes one.

B.W.D.

Lets_Ride

Post by Lets_Ride » Sat May 29, 2010 9:29 pm

Dave

I don't get Preformance Magazine so not sure which jersey it is. If it is in a Specialized ad, green with the Big 5 animals on it, I already have one. Shorts too.

Will be at the spillway at about Eight if the weather is ok
SS/HT/FS/RD (Anything on two wheels)

Ryan

1ridindirty

Post by 1ridindirty » Sat May 29, 2010 9:40 pm

I'll bring you the catalog tomorrow, you'll like the jersey !

I may get out there a little earlier than 7 to go do a little work on the cypress knees in the Pepperridge Section, and Recon the trail, hope the weather holds up !

Later,

big Wave dave