New guy here

dk.easterly

New guy here

Post by dk.easterly » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:38 pm

Just stopping in for a quick introduction and to say thanks for putting together a good local forum.

Haven't been trail riding for a very long time, but I'm looking to get back into the sport. Pulled my old Trek 930 Singletrack (1998 model) out, knocked the cobwebs off, and getting it ride worthy again.

The last trail I really rode was in the Homochitto National Forest. Looking forward to riding the Hooper Road trails this Sunday.

Any pointers or tips to get my bike back in shape? It was stored indoors and everything seems to be in decent shape. Put new tubes, changed the seat, and cleaned/lubed the chain and sprockets.

batgirl
Officer

Re: New guy here

Post by batgirl » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:27 am

Welcome to the club! The trails are in great shape right now, and the weather is perfect for riding. We have group rides on Tuesday and Thursday evenings, weather permitting. Just keep checking back here and on our Facebook page for updates.

I can't help you much with bike maintenance, I personally would run the bike up to one of the local bike shops and have them do a quick tune up.
Diana

dk.easterly

Post by dk.easterly » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:04 pm

batgirl wrote:Welcome to the club! The trails are in great shape right now, and the weather is perfect for riding. We have group rides on Tuesday and Thursday evenings, weather permitting. Just keep checking back here and on our Facebook page for updates.

I can't help you much with bike maintenance, I personally would run the bike up to one of the local bike shops and have them do a quick tune up.
Thanks. I'll definitely try to make a night ride or two.

As far as the maintenance, I've figured most of it out. Got everything shifting correctly, brakes no longer dragging, etc...

Plan on making it back out there this weekend. We road both trails last time and it they were fun.

Philip

Post by Philip » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:22 am

New Here too. Just picked up a Trek 3500 yesterday. Never hit trails before, but i'm gonna give it a go after I get back into "riding" shape.

dk.easterly

Post by dk.easterly » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:00 pm

Philip wrote:New Here too. Just picked up a Trek 3500 yesterday. Never hit trails before, but i'm gonna give it a go after I get back into "riding" shape.
Get out there and get some!

That's what I did after 15 years of not riding.

The Hooper/Comite trails aren't extremely difficult. There are some technical spots, but overall I found it to be good for someone like me.

We were planning on going back this weekend but cancelled due to this weather.

Robin
Officer

Post by Robin » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:04 pm

Philip wrote:New Here too. Just picked up a Trek 3500 yesterday. Never hit trails before, but i'm gonna give it a go after I get back into "riding" shape.
Nothing like actually riding....to get you into riding shape! :D

(sigh) maybe Mother Nature will let us get back to it soon!

Welcome to you both.
If on facebook - look for us there. (facebook sees a bit more action than the forum)
Robin
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry