6 Hour Races at The Beast?

Charley Rome
BRAMBA Member

6 Hour Races at The Beast?

Post by Charley Rome » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:58 pm

The LA XC series is winding down and (W)reckless Racing is considering hosting a series of 6 Hour races at The Beast over the winter. Winter is a good time to ride longer events because the temps are lower and hydration usually isn’t a big issue. It is also good to do longer training rides in the off-season to maintain and build for next year.

(W)reckless is considering a 6 Hour race format instead of a fixed race distance because it can allow riders to tailor their race goals for the number of laps completed in 6 hours to each rider’s own fitness and skill. Some riders might complete 8 or more laps at The Beast in 6 hours. It might be a tremendous accomplishment for some riders to complete 2 or 3 laps at The Beast in 6 hours.

We looked at the Texas Mountain Bike Racing Association (TMBRA) Marathon race calendar and picked the following three tentative Saturday dates that do not conflict with TMBRA Marathon races: 1/19/13, 2/2/13, and 2/16/13. To keep costs down, we would seek a “Training Race Series Permit” that allows up to three races for a $15 permitting fee. USA Cycling will also collect $3 per participating racer to cover insurance costs.

Weather in January and February varies a lot with rain and temps. We would not want to hold a race if it is raining or if the trails are too wet to ride. Riding The Beast is challenging enough, and we don’t want to risk riders on slick trails and bridges. Furthermore, it is bad to ride wet trails, and we won’t do that in this series at The Beast. As such, we plan to cancel races in the week prior to the race if weather and trail conditions do not cooperate. Hopefully, we can hold all three races. If we have to skip one or more races, (W)reckless doesn’t lose money because the Training Race Series Permits are inexpensive.

The West Feliciana Parks Department charges a $200 fee to hold each of the races. They have told us they will not charge their $200 fee if we have to cancel one or more of the races due to poor weather and/or poor trail conditions. We need to gauge interest in these races to decide if we want to proceed and decide how much to charge each racer.

These will be “no frill” events and will provide no T-shirts, awards, prize money, etc. These races are for folks who love a challenge and race to do their best and don’t care about the frills. This race also isn’t for new or inexperienced riders. You don’t have to be super fit or super skilled to safely ride The Beast. However, each rider needs to know their physical and mental limits and ride within them.

If I can get a commitment from 20 riders, we cover our costs with a $15 fee per rider per race. If we have 10 riders, we would need to charge about $25 to cover our costs. Due to the $200 fee from the park, the cost per rider goes up pretty fast as the number of riders decrease. It would likely be cost prohibitive with less than 10 riders unless a sponsor wants to throw in a little cash to help with the park fees.

Is anybody interested in doing some 6 hour races at The Beast?
If you can't be fast, at least have fun.

Charley Rome
BRAMBA Member

Re: 6 Hour Races at The Beast?

Post by Charley Rome » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:07 pm

Here's a link to a recent New Orleans news report on The Beast trail. The video says the trail is 8 miles long. It feels like 8 miles, but it is really about 5.5 miles long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2hBBjUZ8ok

Charley Rome
BRAMBA Member

Post by Charley Rome » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:10 pm

Here's a little background on the trail. Each lap is 5.8 miles and there are 660 feet of climbing per lap.

Charley Rome
BRAMBA Member

Post by Charley Rome » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:25 am

The following 23 riders are interested in racing a 6 Hour race at The Beast:

Ryan Lawson
Jarrett Keller
Rusty Bernard
Joshua Campbell
Kyle Taylor
Dustin Flint
David McCarstle
Andy Piner
Ben McCormack
Adam Hart
Brian Smith
Nate Vanwinterswyk
Chris Barrow
Jonathan Jones
James Barro
Warren Weber
Brent Fay
Blair Krogh
Jason Betz
Eric Heyl
Charley Rome
Michael Breaux
Todd Thomas

Who many can make the first race on Saturday, 1/19/13?

Charley Rome
BRAMBA Member

Post by Charley Rome » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:10 pm

Here's the latest list of 27 riders interesting in racing the 6 Hour race at The Beast on 1/19/13:

Ryan Lawson
Jarrett Keller
Rusty Bernard
Joshua Campbell
Kyle Taylor
Dustin Flint
David McCarstle
Andy Pinet
Ben McCormack
Kim McCormack
Adam Hart
Brian Smith
Nate Vanwinterswyk
Carl Barrow
Jonathan Jones
James Barrow
Warren Weber
Brent Fay
Blair Krogh
Jason Betz
Eric Heyl
Charley Rome
Michael Breaux
Todd Thomas
Catherine Conger Moore
Michael Breaux
Shane Easterling

Send me an email at charleyrome@cox.net if you would like to be added to the list.

ripniner
Officer

Post by ripniner » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:34 pm

I don't know if I'm up for six hours of riding yet, but I would be willing to help with trail maintenance to prepare for the event. The last time I rode the WFSP trail I recall some sections maybe a wee bit washed out. I have found I am very handy with a shovel and I do a mean pruning job with my loppers.

Maybe we could plan a BRAMBA trail maintenance day to organize some helping hands?

Anyway, I love doing trail maintenance and I would be happy to help.

Yvette

ap

Post by ap » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:11 am

Rode it last weekend and the trail is in awesome shape! A tad leafy in sections but even the sandy spots seemed less sandy.

Charley Rome
BRAMBA Member

Post by Charley Rome » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:11 pm

Race Flyer
Attachments
BEAST_FLYER Latest jpg.jpg

Charley Rome
BRAMBA Member

Post by Charley Rome » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:07 am

Here are the latest race RSVPs:

Going:

Carl Barrow
James Barrow
Rusty Bernard
Jason Betz
Michael Breaux
Bruce Broussard
Shane Easterling
Jason Evers
Michael Favaloro
Brent Fay
Dustin Flint
Adam Hart
Eric Heyl
William Horvath
Jonathan Jones
Jarrett Keller
Blair Krogh
Russell Lubon
Michael Lyons
David McCarstle
Ben McCormack
Kim McCormack
Catherine Conger Moore
Andy Piner
Josh Rivet
Charley Rome
Josh Rosby
Brian Smith
Todd Thomas
Nate Vanwinterswyk
Jeff Vaughan
Warren Weber
Teresa White

Maybe Going:

Scott Borne
Joshua Campbell
Chris Clark
Joseph Dabbs
Cody DiMarco
Chris Davis
Stacey Eckerson
Jakub Haba
Todd Harris
Shawn Hebert
Chris Irving
Ryan Lawson
John Mooney
Scott Richards
Kyle Taylor
Justin Weber
Lena Yarbrough

Charley Rome
BRAMBA Member

Post by Charley Rome » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:22 pm

Happy New Year,

Just reminding everyone that the first Beast 6 Hour race is still on for Saturday, January 19, 2013.

I'm looking for course marshals for the race. Would you or any friends like to help out race day? If so, please send me an email.

Thanks,

charleyrome@cox.net

Charley Rome
BRAMBA Member

Race Cancelled for this Weekend

Post by Charley Rome » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:03 am

I've decided to cancel the race this weekend and shoot for the next date on Saturday, 2/2/13. We have received too much rain and we don't think the course will be ready by Saturday.

Charley Rome
BRAMBA Member

Post by Charley Rome » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:28 pm

Mountain Bikers,

Things are drying out and we are hopeful that we can hold the next Beast 6 Hour training race scheduled for Saturday, 2/2/13.

We are working this Sunday (1/27/13) to get the trail in shape. I should be out there all day. Email me if you would like to help out on Sunday.

Email or call if you have any questions about the trail work Sunday or the race the following Saturday.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone at the race on 2/2/13. Cross your fingers for good weather and dry trails for the race weekend after next.

charleyrome@cox.net

Charley Rome
BRAMBA Member

Post by Charley Rome » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:36 am

The weather forecast for this weekend is looking good. We worked hard over the weekend to get the trail in good shape for Saturday. We shoveled tons of sand off the trail. We blew the trail off. It is shaping up to be a great day for racing Saturday.

The race is a low frills affair and I don't know how many racers will actually show up Saturday. As such, please bring all the water, food, etc you will need for the race.

Email me if you have any questions. We look forward to seeing everyone on Saturday.

charleyrome@cox.net

Todd AKA TAZ

Post by Todd AKA TAZ » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:55 am

Charlie is the trail open now for riding? I would like a day or two this week to ride it before the race?
FAILURE is an option, overcoming it is a CHOICE!

Charley Rome
BRAMBA Member

Post by Charley Rome » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:41 pm

The trail is open to ride. We haven't finished marking it. I plan to finish the marking on Thursday or Friday. We put some orange marks on the ground so you should be able to follow the course with the orange marks.