Reminder about upcoming trail maintenance in Feb!

ripniner
Officer

Reminder about upcoming trail maintenance in Feb!

Post by ripniner » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:38 pm

Reminder about upcoming trail maintenance volunteer opportunities in February:

This Saturday, the 8th, at Clear Springs. Meet at 9:00 AM at the parking lot by the lake. We need folks to bring leaf blowers, gas cans, gas, loppers, weed whackers, hand saws, shovels and Macleods. We will split up into teams to tackle the trails at different points. We will start with Richardson and then move to Tally's. We need to blow off the leaves from the trail, cut back overgrowth, and fix some eroded areas. There will be some folks camping Saturday night and riding/running on Sunday. The group campsite was not available so we will camp in spots by the lake. No reservations required. It's a pretty quiet time of year for camping. No rain in the forecast. Low's in the mid 30's highs in the low 60's.

Next Saturday, the 15th at Comite. Kevin Bresinger has graciously volunteered to rally the troops. Typically TM lasts from 8:00 - 12:00 and the trail will be closed during that time for the safety of workers and trail users alike. I will be out of town, so please check with Kevin or Burns Decker about the work day agenda and what tools will be required.

Please note that as we get into spring the trails will constantly need some "trail love" as they get quickly overgrown. Anyone can do their own personal trail maintenance day at any time to prune vegetation with hand tools, remove leaves from the trail, or pick up trash. However, no modifications to the trails, pretty please, and everyone is encouraged to show up on the BREC/BRAMBA trail maintenance days since those are the volunteer hours that we get credit for. Also, the BREC/BRAMBA trail maintenance days are a great opportunity to learn about dirt work and proper trail care. I always encourage the experienced dirt workers to show up and coach the newbies.

bwalker
Officer

Re: Reminder about upcoming trail maintenance in Feb!

Post by bwalker » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:11 am

I'll be heading up in the morning just for the workday, no riding, if anyone wants to ride up with me.
Bob

Robin
Officer

Post by Robin » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:59 am

Can't ride 'em - might as well work' em!

This Saturday, the 15th at Comite. Kevin Bresinger has graciously volunteered to rally the troops. Typically TM lasts from 8:00 - 12:00 and the trail will be closed during that time for the safety of workers and trail users alike. Please bring loopers, weed whackers and shovels! Looks like we may have some gravel to spread.

Chris Reid is bringing the boudin and I'm bringing king cake....gotta have some LA fuel for the day! Following the trail maintenance - some of us are heading to Tin Roof for the beer tasting at 2pm-5pm as reward for our labors!

Come join us! Gonna be a great day!
Robin
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry

traildead

Post by traildead » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:51 am

You mentioned loppers and shovels, but should I bring a blower or weed-eater? (or both?) Not sure if weeds are a problem right now, but I can bring the weed-eater if you know of an area that needs work. Unfortunately, it's been a couple of months since I rode Comite, so I'm not sure exactly what kind of loving it needs.

bwalker
Officer

Post by bwalker » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:27 pm

Bring what ever you have, nobody but Burns has been on the trail in a few weeks. I plan on brining what I have (blower, string trimmer, lopers, shovels etx) as well. There should be some gravel to spread too.