Return of the Trail Trilogy 10/29-11/2/15

Robin
Officer

Return of the Trail Trilogy 10/29-11/2/15

Post by Robin » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:16 pm

Hitting 3 awesome trails in one weekend!

1. Drive to Oak Mt. on a Thursday morning - set up camp here and plan to ride in the afternoon. Tradition has been that we eat out the first night at Margarita Grill. After a long drive, setting up camp and riding - most people don't feel like dealing with working on a camp fire dinner. Go out the eat come back relax around the fire.
http://www.alapark.com/oak-mountain-state-park

2. Ride Cold Water Mt Trail System on Friday
http://www.neaba.net/coldwatermtb

3. Followed up by Tannehill Trail System on Saturday.
http://www.tannehill.org/index.html
(Could very much use some assistance in locating a good trail map/ride routes for this park)

Sunday we drive home completely exhausted with grins plastered on our faces and stories to tell!
Reserving a group camping site so need a head-count. Post up if able to join in!
oak mt.jpg
Last edited by Robin on Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robin
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry

gary g

Re: Return of the Trail Trilogy 10/29-11/2

Post by gary g » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:55 am

Robin,
We have a group of 7 going up on the 27th.
We are going to stay in the individual sites at Oak Mtn.

Pretty sure we are riding Tannehill Saturday also.

Ride the purple and green trails. Ride the Cannon Ball trail. It starts off purple and turns into green. Just keep going down hill. Lots of fun.
Don't ride the black. It is boring, and awkward. Not laid out very well.

You can get a trail map there.
http://bump.org/trails/tannehill/

Gary G

Robin
Officer

Re: Return of the Trail Trilogy 10/29-11/2

Post by Robin » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:00 am

Thanks Gary!
You know where we will be - so feel free to come and hang out with us around the campfire in the evenings. And maybe we'll see yall at Tannehill.
Robin

Steven A

Re: Return of the Trail Trilogy 10/29-11/2/15

Post by Steven A » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:39 am

Making plans to join you guys! Looking forward to it. Let me know how I can contribute.
Steven A

Robin
Officer

Post by Robin » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:35 am

So it just so happens that I actually met and befriended 2 Steven A.'s this week. LOL Is this S. Andrus or S. Andre? :D
Either way! Welcome! I'll be putting together a list of who is in so we can start figuring out our meals very soon!
Robin

Steven A

Post by Steven A » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:03 am

Ha! This would be Steven Andrus.
Steven A

Robin
Officer

Post by Robin » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:23 pm

Pulled post from Facebook so you non-facebookers can see the latest details coming together. :D

CONFIRMED: Me!, Nancy Kuhlmeier and hubby Bob, Jacob Oubre, Israel Tilman, Kortney Tilman, Richard Thomas, Jason Huckaby, Brad Way, Chris Hart, Diana Gary Strebel, Allen Strebel, Rena Leblanc, Georgia Wilemon, Kyle Alan Peveto, Taylor Hayes, Steven Andrus, Bob Walker, Ray and Donna Mitchell, and hopefully Cline Henagan. GROUP SITE RESERVED. There is another group with Gary Green heading over on Wednesday - they have their own campsites reserved and may hook up with us to ride Tannehill on Saturday. Michelle Fox and friends out of Lafayette are hoping to join - they too plan to have their own camp/RV site.

MEALS: Right now the plan is to eat at Margarita Grill on Thursday night (not everyone has to do this though). Jason Huckaby is making a chili for Friday night (to serve over Fritos or pasta (not rice! ;)) GA and I contributing all the fixin's to go with his Chili and Saturday night - Bob Walker is making his famous campfire Jambalaya. Could maybe use some bread to go with this. Still need breakfast for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday? - if a couple different people want to step up and volunteer for this - I also plan to brings ingredients for "gourmet" smores (meaning ghirardelli caramel chocolate).

Nancy says she can make breakfast burritos for Friday morning. Eggs, cheese, salsa, meat (thinking sausage) & shells. Hearty start to fun day at trail.

Kortney doing scrambled eggs with a side of meat(Bacon and Stevens deer sausage) and bring bagels and muffins

Brad: planning to do Deep South West breakfast burritos again which include boudin

BYOB
Robin

gary g

Post by gary g » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:00 am

Robin,

There is about 8 people in our group going.
I will not be able to make the trip due to a pinched nerve. I have a steroid shot lined up for next week.
Bad timing.

You guys will have a great time.

Gary G.

Robin
Officer

Post by Robin » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:20 am

Sorry to hear that Gary. :(
Hope you get it sorted out.

Looks like several of us have plans to try and roll out of BTR close to 6am-ish - putting us at campsite for 12:30 - in time to set up and get in a nice ride. Others arriving at different times throughout the day and some not until Friday night.
Robin

ray m

Post by ray m » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:34 am

robin,

Donna and I are out also, I'm still laid up from a fishing injury. Yall have a great time.

Ray
"Bicycles will abound in Utopia" H.G. Wells

Robin
Officer

Post by Robin » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:11 pm

Dang...what a bummer Ray. :(
(musta been a really big fish)
Robin

Robin
Officer

Post by Robin » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:08 pm

Though the rain cut our Halloween camping weekend a day short - we still got in our Trilogy Ride and had an amazing time riding some super fun, gorgeous Alabama trails. Arriving Thursday around 1:30pm - we set up camp in the Oak Mt. State Park and hit the trails for a nice 20 mile ride. Always a long day after driving, setting up tents, and riding - so following tradition we ate out at the Margarita Grill. Friday morning started off with campfire breakfast tacos, banana bread, and pumpkin bread before heading over to Anniston, AL to ride the Coldwater Mt. Trail - plenty of climbing on this trail to make you hurt a bit - but the downhill pay offs (Bomb Dog) are SO worth it! I swear they dumped more rocks on this trail - but no worries - everybody handled them beautifully! My group got in 15 miles before calling it a day while some of the faster guys fit in @20 miles. Back at the camp site we feasted on bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers, pepperoni-mozzarella stuffed meatballs, salad (got to have our greens) campfire jambalaya, potato salad, and white choc bread pudding. Yeah - good thing we burn some serious calories on our rides - cause we eat like kings afterwards! Keeping an eye on the Saturday/Sunday forecast - lots of rain was heading our way so we thought it best to break down the camp site Saturday morning (of course not before enjoying some breakfast burritos made with boudin) and headed to the Tannehill Trail system. Not really familiar with this trail (having only ridden it once before) Kyle mentions on the drive over - "What are the chances that same guy we met last year would show up to lead us around again" - Yeah - Wouldn't that be nice! All we knew is that we wanted to hit the purple trail that laid back in the middle of the whole trail system. Upon arrival it started sprinkling and the radar showed a massive cell heading our way. After hemming and hawing a bit - we decided screw it - we're going for it and geared up. As I was rolling out of the parking lot a "dad-figure" - you know the ones who always have the weather channel on - said "Y'all will be fine - rain not hitting until 2:30pm." We make our way over to the trail head and who the hell is there!? Greg! Our local trail angel! Dude must live there! Once again - Greg did not steer us wrong and lead us through all of the absolute best roller-coaster sections out there - Getting in another 12 miles of glorious riding! With rain still holding off - we had time to pull out the chili we originally planned for dinner Saturday night and had that for lunch before hitting the road home for a rainy drive home. So much freaking fun crammed into a few days - kinda nice to have today as a lazy recovery day.
TT1.jpg
TT2.jpg
TT3.jpg
TT4.jpg
Robin

Robin
Officer

Post by Robin » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:09 pm

TT5.jpg
TT6.jpg