Hooper Road Conditions

ratboy

Hooper Road Conditions

Post by ratboy » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:35 pm

that trail is in dire need of attention. both bridges to hard tail are gone, williams web is ever grown and the first part of the power line is pretty thick.
Eric

wddamf

Post by wddamf » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:29 pm

However, on the positive side, it won't take much work to get all but Hardtail perfect again. We rode it today and there's one tree down, an assortment of face slappers (maybe an hour of work for somebody on a bike with a pair of pruners), and 40 or so yards of briars at the entrance of Powerline that need attention. The bridges to Hardtail are another story all together (i.e., completely gone - grating is laying in the ditch). Hooper definitely needs some traffic - go ride it - it's worth it as is.
Dan Dickerson

"George is gettin' upset!!!"

sborne

Hooper

Post by sborne » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:18 pm

I saw a post about someone riding Hooper. Considering driving over there tomorrow. What's the latest on the connection trail and Hooper? I know there's been some rain and Hooper seems to hold some water in places but any word on the overall condition?

Thanks,

Scott-

wddamf

Post by wddamf » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:51 pm

Although I haven't personally experienced it (been deer hunting instead of riding lately), I've read that Hooper and the Connection are good to go.
Dan Dickerson

on_da_edge

Post by on_da_edge » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:58 pm

They good. Lot's of leaves. No bridges to Hard Tail Hell. When you pop out at the canal, just turn right for a 100yds or so and turn right back into the woods on the normal route.

StuckeyPCS

Post by StuckeyPCS » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:36 am

I was out there Sunday with a several friends BBQ'ing. As mentioned it's not far gone but will take some hard work and commitment to bring it back up to par. We had heard that on Sunday that Comite had so many people out there that they were having to park on the shoulder of Hooper Rd. Don't think 1 or 2 people besides our group was at Hooper Rd.

The Bridge to Hard Tail Hell can be recovered but may have to be rebuilt some where else as alot of earth underneath it was washed away.

cannondale-tim

Post by cannondale-tim » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:11 pm

Cline and I rode Hooper Sunday as well. As you mentioned, most of the canal is now too wide for a single section of grating going back to Hard-tail. It may be better to join both sections end to end and have only one bridge leading to Hard-tail. One bridge would be less to manage. If we build it the same way we built the one under the Hooper Roadway, it should last. We put that one there three years ago.

As always, coming up with the ideas is the easy part. Pulling that old grating out of the mud and up the side of the canal is another story.

wddamf

Post by wddamf » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:31 pm

BREC has a big arsed tractor that would yank that grating out of the mud without even grunting - and from what I understand, it's available for BRAMBA's use.

I can only imgine the stuff I'd have built if NOMAMBO had access to BREC's equipment!
Dan Dickerson

UrbanAssault

Post by UrbanAssault » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:04 pm

we pulled the grating out last time with the brecc four wheeler
I think about 4 us fixed and replaced the bridge last time.

I think one bridge maybe a good idea that would be less maintance, and you could just ride next to the canal after you come out of hardtail to get back to the bridge.

I'll try to get out there and take a look at it soon and see what maybe possible. I'll try to figure something out and post it on here.

The problem to me is that when you want to get done it takes, months to go through the channels and get it done, normally when I want to do something I want to do it ASAP even if I have to do it myself. I'll try to get some tools and go out and do an hour or so on hooper tomorrow.

reddog
BRAMBA Member

Re: hooper road

Post by reddog » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:37 pm

There are some exposed pipes out at Hooper on the return leg of the main trail. I am in the process of building 5 crossings where water is running across the trail to flow back into the bayou. These are the improved crossings with concrete side walls and eco-stone over the pipe. Please be on the lookout for the unfinished crossings, I don't want anyone getting hurt on them. There is also another low spot in this same area where I am laying down a rock run. It won't be finished until I get the trailer fixed next week.
Burns Decker
BREC Cycling Manager
Kerry Stamey Mountain Bike Trail System

Just put me back on my bike!!!!

ray m

Post by ray m » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:27 am

[quote="reddog"] These are the improved crossings with concrete side walls

The new drainge pipes will be a big help in drying it out over there. I think the concrete walls on the bridges, if they are necessary, should be rounded off more as opposed to the ones at comite, so that if someone were to hit one there would be some chance of bouncing off. Maybe an arch shape or something like that, like bridge ends on highway construction. Maybe the imba trail book has some suggestions or we have some concret formers as members.

Ray
"Bicycles will abound in Utopia" H.G. Wells

Jarrett

Post by Jarrett » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:16 am

Hey Burns,

I was contacted by a parent from one of the local scout troups last Friday. Her sons need to do a conservation project as part of their camping merit badge and she wanted to know if there was anything at the trails they could do. I suggested that they could build a culvert to prevent trail erosion in areas where water naturally flows across the trail. Sound like you're already on top of that. Can you think of anything else they could do?

They need to get permission from the land manager for any project they do, so I was planning to give them your contact information. I think scouts build a few of the bridges out at hooper?

Thanks

reddog
BRAMBA Member

Post by reddog » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:49 pm

Jarrett, go ahead any give them my info. They could actually work on one of those I have laid out. I am close to getting the trailer fixed. I could leave them a pile of gravel to use.
Burns Decker
BREC Cycling Manager

reddog
BRAMBA Member

Post by reddog » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:33 am

The Dagobah section of Hooper Road Park Trail has been completely cleared.
There is one tree hop that was left in a short distance after the second wooden bridge.
There are two reroutes around fallen trees after that point.
There is also a sizeable hole developing on G2 just after the top of the big climb.
Burns Decker
BREC Cycling Manager

reddog
BRAMBA Member

Post by reddog » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:28 am

The hole on G2 has been filled with a piece of grating.
Burns Decker
BREC Cycling Manager