Comite post gustave status

slylaws

Comite post gustave status

Post by slylaws » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:48 pm

why does a sign saying "trails are closed due to high water" posted on the entrance of the parking lot... are the trails closed

slowbrandon

Re: Comite post gustave status

Post by slowbrandon » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:12 am

Burns, we cleared out the roller coaster yesterday - can you pull down the "trails are closed" sign?

reddog
BRAMBA Member

Post by reddog » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:15 am

I was waiting to see how long it would take someone to notice it was up there. I don't know it was ever really was "Closed", I had people ride by me when I was weilding a running chain saw and say " Is it clear, can we ride?" There may still be some more trees down towards the Point. If anyone goes out to ride please post so we can decide if we need to schedule another workday this Sunday.
Burns Decker
BREC Cycling Manager
Kerry Stamey Mountain Bike Trail System

Just put me back on my bike!!!!

gary g

Post by gary g » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:48 am

Hey Burns. I know you ultamately make the final decsion on what goes on with the trails. Would you be open for some ideas from the forum on what kind of ramps could be built over the two large trees that are down? A go around would have to be built for sure, but a ramp could be built over them with a wide enough bailout area at the top just in case you have second thoughts. You see those in the videos all of the time. I'm sure we could come up with something pretty safe.
What do you think?

Big H

Post by Big H » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:56 am

Burns, if Comite is clear, why don't we post a work day to finish cleaning up Hooper?

slowbrandon

Post by slowbrandon » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:05 pm

Burns, the only trees down now are the two really big ones that have the have ramps built for them (but this really needs to be looked at). The only other issue would be the complete washout of the trail near the point.

reddog
BRAMBA Member

Post by reddog » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:49 pm

gary g wrote:Hey Burns. I know you ultamately make the final decsion on what goes on with the trails. Would you be open for some ideas from the forum on what kind of ramps could be built over the two large trees that are down? A go around would have to be built for sure, but a ramp could be built over them with a wide enough bailout area at the top just in case you have second thoughts. You see those in the videos all of the time. I'm sure we could come up with something pretty safe.
What do you think?
"Ramps, We don't need no stinkin' ramps"
Isn't that a picture of someone riding over them as is on the forum?
No, actually ramps with several levels of dificulty could be built. I haven't been to the exact area to look them over yet, but I am open to anything that can be made safe or at least give people adequate warning about.
Burns Decker
BREC Cycling Manager

reddog
BRAMBA Member

Post by reddog » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:51 pm

slowbrandon wrote:Burns, the only trees down now are the two really big ones that have the have ramps built for them (but this really needs to be looked at). The only other issue would be the complete washout of the trail near the point.
What about the one on the Point trail behind the Bowl? Did y'all ride everything?
Burns Decker
BREC Cycling Manager

reddog
BRAMBA Member

Post by reddog » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:53 pm

Big H wrote:Burns, if Comite is clear, why don't we post a work day to finish cleaning up Hooper?
Next on the list ! Sharpen those saw chains and grab yer' bug spray.
Burns Decker
BREC Cycling Manager

slowbrandon

Post by slowbrandon » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:13 pm

reddog wrote:What about the one on the Point trail behind the Bowl? Did y'all ride everything?
Well now you have me questioning myself... I will check with Richard and Jeff...

Cline

Post by Cline » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:11 pm

Did anyone finish cutting the Headhunter trail? When we left it last sat we got past the log crossing that has been there.

lab rat

Post by lab rat » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:32 pm

Richard and I are going to ride tom. to check everything out.

b.a.r.k.

Post by b.a.r.k. » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:50 pm

reddog wrote: "Ramps, We don't need no stinkin' ramps"
Isn't that a picture of someone riding over them as is on the forum?
No, actually ramps with several levels of dificulty could be built. I haven't been to the exact area to look them over yet, but I am open to anything that can be made safe or at least give people adequate warning about.
This is a cross post that I picked up from another forum.

Here is an idea for some of the downed trees.
Recycle, Reuse.

traildead

Post by traildead » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:22 am

Had a chance to ride yesterday for the first time since well before the hurricane wrecked the trails. They are in PHENOMENAL shape! Not only am I completely amazed that the trails are back in great riding shape, but I honestly believe that some of the new "features" make the trail even better than it was before. I'm not talking about the few trees down that still require a dismount, but rather the new twists that are scattered throughout the trail that has made it just a little more difficult. i.e. sand in a few spots, slightly tighter turns.

My sincere and heartfelt appreciation goes out to all of the guys (and girls) who obviously worked their asterisks off to get the trail back out from under all of those fallen trees that greeted me when I naively visited a week after the hurricane thinking that I could do something with only a pair of gloves. I stood in awe at the destruction instead. Again, thank you all very much.

CajunPixi

Post by CajunPixi » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:28 pm

I would like to thank everyone who helped clear the trails, you fellas did a great job! :wink: