LynnGray

Re: The Beast?

Post by LynnGray » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:56 pm

Love seeketh not itself to please,
Nor for itself hath any care,
But for another gives its ease,
And builds a Heaven in Hell's despair.
William Blake
Last edited by LynnGray on Fri May 28, 2010 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

TLW

Post by TLW » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:13 pm

My name is Tyler and I'm new to Louisiana (New Orleans). I have read about the potential of this trail and would like to offer my assistance in trying to get it back into shape. There is not a lot of options in my area, and it would be great to have a closer trail with decent climbs....

clay

Post by clay » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:45 am

The trail is still in really bad shape. The first mile has been cleared, but there are two or three spots in the first mile that are so steep that they are unrideable. I spoke with a parish worker on wedsday and he has heard they do want to redesign the trails and get them make in good shape. I believe our best avenue at the moment is to push for the Parish to get someone in and redesign the entire trail.

LynnGray

Post by LynnGray » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:20 pm

A truth that's told with bad intent beats all the lies you can invent.
William Blake
Last edited by LynnGray on Fri May 28, 2010 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

LynnGray

Post by LynnGray » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:00 pm

A fool sees not the same tree that a wise man sees.
William Blake
Last edited by LynnGray on Fri May 28, 2010 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sawtooth

Post by Sawtooth » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:38 pm

Looks like a fun trail. What is the address to the trail head?

robc

Post by robc » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:53 pm

LynnGray wrote: WF Parish is bringing back Jay Ellington and James Ramshire to walk through the trail (this has not yet happened yet due to schedule conflicts), to suggest modifications with the understanding that it needs to be made more user-friendly.

The original trail length is actually 4.5 miles. Erosion has probably made the Beast even tougher than it was originally. The parish owns an additional 62 acres that could be used to expand the trail.
Any chance that was supposed to be James Ramsaur? As in the guy who created the trails at Lincoln Parish Park in Ruston, somewhat of a legend. If so that is very awesome!
Portland- where the dream of the 90s is still alive today.

LynnGray

Post by LynnGray » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:04 am

Those who restrain desire, do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained.
William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell (c. 1790-1793)
Last edited by LynnGray on Fri May 28, 2010 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

wddamf

Post by wddamf » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:10 am

First I think it's fantastic that something is being done with this trail - the natural terrain in that area of the state is wonderful, and to have a trail located there that is "no fun" at best to "unridable" at worst is a terible waste. However, I wonder if bringing James in is the right idea as it's my understanding that he designed and built "The Beast" to begin with. This would be a PERFECT project for the IMBA Trail Care Crew! Consider contacting them - or shoot me an e-mail with the specifics and I'll give them a call.
Dan Dickerson

"George is gettin' upset!!!"

cody

Post by cody » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:42 pm

The Rainwater brothers have done a lot for the Shreveport area when it comes to designing / building trails (they've had a lot to do with the Monkey trail and Bodcau recreation area). I don't know what it would take to get one of those guys opinion on the matter but it would be awesome if they had some input. The beast isn't too far from my house in Zachary and it would be sweet to have another option locally.

gary g

Post by gary g » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:50 pm

I met James in Ruston this past weekend. What a nice guy.
Not only did he build the trails in Ruston he also maintains them. They were absolutely perfect. He definately takes a lot of pride in his work.
Now that I know who designed/built "The Beast" I feel confident that James would be able to come in and re-shape a first rate mountain bike trail. It is just a matter of communication. It is up to you/us to communicate with them about what you want. Personally I want something that is a challenge. Granted there is one or two spots that need to have a second look.
If you have ever ridden Lincoln Park or Oak Mountain both of those trails have spots that you get off of your bike and walk. (Except For Cline & Tim) That is part of the mystique of both of those trails. You don't complain when you are up there why would you complain here.
We can only be so lucky to have our own Lincoln Park or Oak Mountain. We just need to tell them that.
Communication, coummunication.

robc

Post by robc » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:43 pm

Good to know that you have contact with him. I havent met him myself, but his reputation is pretty upstanding. I believe he is responsible for organizing the Piney Hills Classic, and has made an imprint on the off road triathlon scene too. http://www.dltmultisport.com/Rustman/li ... eekend.htm

Anyway, from the pictures the trail doesnt look like it was made with sustainability in mind, but maybe at that time sustainable trail building wasn't up to the standards it is now. I'm sure James will do a great job though. Just hope people will show up and put in the effort.
Portland- where the dream of the 90s is still alive today.

LynnGray

Post by LynnGray » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:24 am

When thou seest an eagle, thou seest a portion of genius; lift up thy head!
William Blake
Last edited by LynnGray on Fri May 28, 2010 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

ratboy

Post by ratboy » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:24 am

it is to my understanding that James did not build the trails in ruston, he simply maintains them. dlt multi sports is responsible for the trails and does the maintenance on them before the races. some one is getting credit for something that they didn't do. but on a different note, i know James and he is one real nice guy.
Eric

ray m

Post by ray m » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:05 pm

cody wrote:The Rainwater brothers have done a lot for the Shreveport area
I agree with Cody, the Bodcau trail makes excellent use of the terrain, which is very similar to that in St Francisville, though maybe not quite as steep. The trail never goes straight up a hill.

Ray
"Bicycles will abound in Utopia" H.G. Wells