Vance Trails

tvenabl

Vance Trails

Post by tvenabl » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:28 am

Was wanting to check out Vance Trails near Liberty. Anyone ridden their lately? About 8 of us looking to ride on Friday somewhere other than Comite.

LSU_engr

Re: Vance Trails

Post by LSU_engr » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:01 am

You might want to check out the mississippi mountain biking forum, they probably have better information.

http://www.msmtb.org/forum
High on tri

LynnGray

Post by LynnGray » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:22 am

The hours of folly are measured by the clock; but of wisdom, no clock can measure.
William Blake
Last edited by LynnGray on Fri May 28, 2010 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Monkey Boy

Post by Monkey Boy » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:49 am

google maps is on crack...Liberty is near Centerville, not north of Jackson.
"(Bleep)...that's gonna leave a mark." C.Farley

cp9999

Post by cp9999 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:42 am

I rode Vance about a month ago and it was in great shape. Look for a guy named "Tomcat" on the MS bike forums as he and a few other guys do most of the maintenance there. In fact, it may be easiest to just pm him to get the latest.
Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit. (M.Tullius Cicero).
Constant practice devoted to one subject often outdoes both intelligence and skill.

tvenabl

Post by tvenabl » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:03 am

Well, myself and three other guys traveled to the beloved Liberty, MS to visit the so called Vance trails. I have to say it was in pretty rough shape. There were tons of trees down across the path. There was also a bridge washed out. All in all these trails haven't been ridden in a while and need some TLC. Toward the end of the trails it is very swampy and had to push the bikes through ankle deep mud and water for about a half mile or so. There are parts along the river that are a bit risky. Your tires seem to ride along just inches away from a 10 foot fall to water. The bank is eroded and I crossed my fingers that the earth didn't give way and land me into the drink with my feet still clipped into the pedals. Other than that this place is root heaven, couple of small climbs and a few downhill areas, nothing too crazy. I was searching for a good post on these trails before I headed there and couldn't find any. My payment to the peeps is to leave all those who care a decent report on the conditions. I love Comite trails, but I wanted to let them heal from the weather and was wanting to let them mend. Next week prolly heading to Mt. Zion to check it out. Will prolly post the results.

bighed

Post by bighed » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:06 pm

Went to Mt Zion last weekend. Those guys have spent a lot of time. Tons of big ups and downs. Cool little teetertotter. one small creek jump and a big one that I wouldnt hit on my xc bike. Gonna bring the jumper next time. Met guys that built it and they were super nice Took us for a tour and showed us some more stuff they are building 10ish ft tall bridge to a small drop to a big jump. The trail is very well marked and lots of marked shorts cut back to trail head. Every obstical has a way around and is well marked.

http://mzbiketrail.wordpress.com/

Probably not going this weekend but trying to plan a ms road trip for the following weekend. Mt Zion , butts park , and finish up at ridgeland
seams like everything good in life is topped with bacon