Clear Springs

gary g

Clear Springs

Post by gary g » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:11 pm

Anyone know the condition of Clear Springs? A group of us going camping Mardi Gras weekend.
Thanks

Larry H

Re: Clear Springs

Post by Larry H » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:54 pm

Anyone been to Clear Springs?
Know what the trails like?

Hadn't planed on going, board setting around figure why not.
Have my batts on charger topping them off.
When they get topped off I will be heading out to give it a go.
Probably around 10:00 they have a full charge.
Anyone is welcome to join me or can ride up with me
I got two Magicshine lights if someone need to use one.
Will check my e-mail and posts before I leave.

cell 301-5825
Larry

robc

Post by robc » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:22 pm

I'm anxious to hear the report. I'll probably be getting up there sometime in the next few weeks.
Portland- where the dream of the 90s is still alive today.

Larry H

Post by Larry H » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:29 am

I did make it to Clear Springs the other night a little after Midnight........ 02/20/10 @ 00:30
So I rode just hours before ratboys friend got to enjoy.

ratboys friend is correct on the conditions.
Bad very bad have only seen it worse one time back in the middle of last year around May, I think.
Slower rider and take more breaks than most of you out there. But love to ride and ride every chance I can.
During my first full year of riding ..... Day, night, hot, cold, crashes, injured, mud, broken parts, flats, stormed on, and even lost. Got lost on those gravel road mazes out in the CS oilfields, damaged bike, 98 degree heat no water and no idea where I was.
I have never not one time said, "I did not have fun" or "I wish I had stayed home".
Until last night.
It's that Bad! Worse than after the 24 hrs. CS.

Have no plains at all to go back until at least June or July.

Rode Richardson Creek counter clockwise some of Tallys trying to find dry trail.
If would have rode clockwise would have seen at the start, the barricades and signs blocking Richardson trail, saying Closed due to Tree Hazzards and Bridge out. Should have looked at the Trail Head map, showing close trail portions and showing all kinds of reroutes on most of the trails
Get to the Three Way gravel road, (Halford Rd. Marker 187) witch is actually the very first road you would come to if you road Richardson clockwise. 3/4 mile from Trail Head, should have been the last portion for me seeing I road backwards.
What do I see? yet another Sign "Trail Closed" .....[edited] [edited] [edited]...I am like 3/4 mile from my car and ready to end this MTBing trip, its 36 degrees, forgot my poptarts in the car getting hungry.
Sign tell riders to follow arrow to reroute down Old Barkley Rd. follow down the road several miles looking for this reroute. Could not find it. Road back to Marker 187 then a lest 3 miles down Halford Rd. to where Mills Branch cross Halford looking for this reroute. Nothing...3 miles Back to the 187. I am not one not to follow trail directions, they there for a reason, but had enough and was not about to ride back through the slop I just came from and started have that knee problem again.
Went ahead using caution seeing the sign saying Hazzards, get to the bridge. Yep I call that a Hazzard..its destroyed. Put the Santa Cruz on the shoulder started walking around and over the rubble then used a down tree to cross the little creak.
That's when I seen the barricades and Signs blocking Richardson.

They have put down a lot of echo stones, some spots looked almost like a sidewalk. They completely redone that bad little down section by the Oil Tanks where I had the over the handlebar thing. Taking away the plastic grating replacing with a ton of echo stones. It will be some time before that bridge gets back up. it worse than the pics. show.

If you go.. make sure you check out the Trail Head map for all the closed trail sections and reroutes.
Larry

robc

Post by robc » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:09 pm

Just rode the race loop this afternoon, everything is in very good condition!!!

I ran into Scott Hanson, helped him move some big tree sections into a small ditch crossing to create a make-shift bridge. He has been blowing leaves and straw off the entire route, fixing bad spots, etc. He made a new bridge crossing for the beaver dam area, it has a turn to go around the fallen tree so you have to take it slow, but you dont have to walk and you don't get wet!

There were maybe 2 stretches where the trail was slippery/muddy all over, but I was able to spin through and didn't dismount. There are quite a few of those dips with a little mud in the bottom, they slowed me down on the first lap. But on the second lap I just looked at the hill on the other side, hit them fast, and was able to keep my momentum. My second lap was well under an hour, if that's any indication of how good the condition is now.

That's us

Post by That's us » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:33 am

First of all, thanks to all the guys/gals who worked many dirty hours clearing this trial up again. Much appreciation!
This was the wife and I first time out to clear springs. Chad S. had a little campin/riding weekend set up, so we made it out for our first ever clear springs ride. Wow guys, that is one fun trail! Just as many roots as comite, but those uphill battles killed my legs quick! Lots of hike-a- bike for both the wife and I. But the rides down were totally amazing and fun as hell! I think we only rode richardsons and part of mills branch and the beginning 4mile loop for tallys. All in all it was a great trip and a great ride! We plan on goin back before t just gets way to hot to ride out there!
"there's someone in my head, but it's not me" R. Waters

hahaase

Post by hahaase » Mon May 02, 2011 7:02 am

Being new to mountain bike riding but an avid hiker I decided to ride up to Clear Springs Trail and hike the parks trails. I enjoy doing this prior to bike riding to get a good GPS plot of the layout of every trail I go to. Well with the weather being what it was last week I only hiked the Mills Branch trail. It would appear to be a test of endurance but there are places where the trail is a mite overgrown and closing off. Just walking through several sections the trail was shoulder wide. There were some roots and the up hill climbs will be challenging to everyone. From the trail head parking lot and back it was a little under 6 miles. I do have a garmin gps file on it if anyone wants it.

robc

Post by robc » Mon May 02, 2011 3:02 pm

Unfortunately,of the CS trails, Mills Branch is the least maintained (bridge has been out for years so FS apparently has no plans to fix it). It also gets the most sunlight, which causes the most growth, and as a consequence it gets the least amount of use.

Tally's will make you earn it, but its definitely the best trail for hiking because the bigger hills make for some great scenery.

robc

Fire! Fire! Fire!

Post by robc » Wed May 18, 2011 9:41 pm

They did a controlled burn yesterday on the North side of the road. That caused 2 trees to fall but not in bad places, and some trees still had a live fire burning on them so could drop some more. But as many of you know, its really neat to ride through the burnt forest; everything is black except for the white trail.

Tally's has apparently suffered from some high wind in the last few weeks. Some trees down and lots of debris on trail which make it ride really slow. Its even tougher and slower than before. I think 3 laps of the beast would be easier than 1 lap of Tally's right now!

Cline

Post by Cline » Tue May 24, 2011 6:17 pm

The forest Service did a uncontrolled burn on the richardson trail and burned the long bridge to the ground.
Last edited by Cline on Wed May 25, 2011 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ray m

Post by ray m » Tue May 24, 2011 10:10 pm

That sounds like an out o control burn.
"Bicycles will abound in Utopia" H.G. Wells

robc

Post by robc » Thu May 26, 2011 10:41 pm

It was fine when we passed it, but parts of that section were still burning slowly so it must have gotten it.
I wasn't very fond of that rotten thing with gaps in the center and nails sticking up at the end anyway. Unfortunately FS probably won't make any effort to replace it.

traildead

Post by traildead » Fri May 27, 2011 9:48 am

Rob,

I think the bridge being discussed is the elevated bridge, not the section you might be thinking about. Dan hiked RC last Saturday, and said that it was blazing when they passed through there.

ray m

Post by ray m » Fri May 27, 2011 10:57 am

Are yall talking about the long one with the downslope and the tree, thats what I first thought, I hope not.
"Bicycles will abound in Utopia" H.G. Wells

robc

Post by robc » Fri May 27, 2011 11:50 am

and burned the long bridge to the ground.
Ah! For some reason I read "on the ground." Wow, thats a huge bummer!!
Especially bad timing since Tally's is now in rough shape. And while there shouldn't be any major blockages, Mills is overgrown in the usual places.
Maybe FS will have to bring in a crew, and maybe they will take care of some of the other trouble spots while at it.

At least my tired legs have a good excuse to stay home this weekend.