Clear Springs

Pivot 5.7
BRAMBA Member

Re: Clear Springs

Post by Pivot 5.7 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:31 pm

It's been at least 12 years since i've been to Clear Springs so I descided to made a trip up there yesterday afternoon. I was the only biker at the trailhead and the gate keeper knew little about the trail conditions except to refer me to the trail board. The only clearly marked as closed trail was Richardson's. This was the trail I had intended to ride because it is the only trail I had never ridden. I don't believe it existed when I was last riding at Clear Springs. My next choice would have been the recent race course but I could not find any indication as to which trail had been used for the race.

I ended up riding the Tally trail which had multiple fallen trees. You need to be as dumb as a box of rocks to ride hills in this heat. I always enjoy cleaning the spot on the Tally trail where I broke my leg years ago. :)

If anyone has current information on the Richardson trail, please post. I would like to add it to my list. I don't mind crossing creeks and logs but I don't want to bust thru brush and briars.

Thanks,

Wayne

Bigjake21

Post by Bigjake21 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:02 pm

Is there a good map of the trails online somewhere? I have never been and would like to know what I am heading into. Thanks.

Pivot 5.7
BRAMBA Member

Post by Pivot 5.7 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:56 pm

Try this for a pdf map download.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC ... 213329.pdf

Wayne

Bigjake21

Post by Bigjake21 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:39 am

Sweet. Thanks.

robc

Post by robc » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:16 am

Richardson's is marked closed because of the burned bridge (see earlier posts). People are still riding it but you'll just have to do a little hiking. As mentioned, Tally's is in really rough shape and Mills is overgrown.
ETA on that bridge getting rebuilt? I'd guess this fall if we are lucky, a couple years if we are unlucky.
Portland- where the dream of the 90s is still alive today.

Pivot 5.7
BRAMBA Member

Post by Pivot 5.7 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:16 am

Thanks robc,

Thats the current info I was looking for on Richardson's. I'll try to get back up there in the next day or so.

I would love to ride with Robin's group but I can no longer keep up with the kids. I would end up riding by myself even if I went with a group.

Wayne

Robin
Officer

Post by Robin » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:52 pm

Wayne - Please feel free to join us. No one will be left behind at CS. If there are those that are faster who want to take off, that is fine, but as ride leader, anyone with me will re-group at certain spots along the way. I think there is a new rider joining us as well. Have a head count of 5 confirmed so far.
Robin
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry

Robin
Officer

Post by Robin » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:46 am

Does anyone know the conditions of Mill Branch? Last time I went (June?) it was getting really overgrown. Just trying to figure out if I should that section or not.

Thanks.
Robin

Adam490

Post by Adam490 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:15 pm

Robin,

I went and rode CS for the first time last weekend and decided to ride Mills Branch; it was basically unrideable. There were a few places I actually had to stop and wander around to find where the trail even was. It's not as bad once you cross the road, but the side to the left at the beginning is awful. If I can get up that way I'll try and come make a ride with you guys.
"I'm okay, can you get my bike off of me?"

Robin
Officer

Post by Robin » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Thanks for the update. Hope you can join us!
Robin

Adam490

Post by Adam490 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:43 pm

No problem. Going to ride Zion on Friday, should be able to meet up with you guys Saturday for the ride.
"I'm okay, can you get my bike off of me?"

ap

Post by ap » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:40 pm

Richardson loop looks good...couple mushy spots. There's new grading and grass-mat where that sketchy decent put you out at bottom of "Hill" (the most obvious sign ever)....you can air mail some of it but I wouldn't towards very bottom. Nice guy named John had a saw & was going to clear a couple of the trees on Tallys. First 1/3 of Tally's to the blacktop had one tree.
Free day-use this weekend through Monday, in honor of Dr. King. Hwy 19 has giant holes in it between Zachary & Slaughter with some one-lane traffic. And there's new (to me) maps at the trailhead and several intersections too. I'll scan mine if cannot find online link. Oh and I bought a bannana moon pie......