The Beast

Todd AKA TAZ

Re: The Beast

Post by Todd AKA TAZ » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:15 pm

I'm glad to hear that! I have been looking for people to go up there and ride...I am going this Saturday and plan to bring a couple others with me!! That's for the post
FAILURE is an option, overcoming it is a CHOICE!

Pivot 5.7
BRAMBA Member

Post by Pivot 5.7 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:15 am

justridingalong wrote:Rode yesterday and the trail is in the best shape i've ever seen it. Downed trees are cut out, trail has been cleared, blown and all but the very last section is buffed out and fast. Best ride i've ever has there. Props on the trail work and the bridge work. Can't believe how few people ride there.

Post up whoevers doing the work, I don't check in here too much but I'd like to lend a hand if and when I can.
Additional bridge work is on hold due to lack of funding. There are several other improvements that are needed but are not funded, designed, or approved at this time. Trail grooming is always needed and is being provided by Park personnel at this time when their schedule permits.

You can volunteer through the park website if you wish or drop by the park office and apply in person. I am only a volunteer worker myself and I am not leading any projects at present since helping to complete the approved bridge work.

Wayne

Millhouse

Post by Millhouse » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:43 am

From NE Louisiana and usually bring my bike when i travel to Baton Rouge and have only ridden Hooper, which i enjoy, but tried the Beast in St. Fran on Nov. 7 and it was an awesome ride. Since it was my first time, i was a bit tentative without knowledge of the trail and the leaves but am looking forward to riding it again soon. I thought the trail was in great shape and provided plenty of areas which test your biking ability. keep up the great work.

Todd AKA TAZ

Post by Todd AKA TAZ » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:47 am

Anybody have an update on the trail? Is it open and rideable? Any update would be nice to have. Thanks

Robin
Officer

Post by Robin » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:33 am

Not sure what today's rain is gonna do to it - but as of yesterday, Charlie Rome had reported that they got a lot done at the workday there on Sunday and that the trails were open and in great shape.
Robin
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry

redfisher

Post by redfisher » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:06 pm

Can anyone tell me how much rain St. Francisville got this week. A couple of friends and I are looking to try the Beast for the first time tomorrow and we are driving from Thibodaux. Will the trail be ride able or should we stay home? Any info would be helpful, Thanks

Todd AKA TAZ

Post by Todd AKA TAZ » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:14 pm

Any update on the trail? I know it rained but not sure how much it rained up there! Anybody? I want to ride it this Saturday so if anyone can give an update that would be awesome! Thanks

Todd AKA TAZ

Post by Todd AKA TAZ » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:06 am

Any updates on the BEAST and it's condition? I'd like to ride it tomorrow..anyone with details please let me know. Thanks

LJD4662

Post by LJD4662 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:18 am

Rode the beast yesterday. Trail is in great condition

LJD4662

Post by LJD4662 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:33 am

Trail was dry, but there are several trees down (one after the escalator that is difficult to cross so be careful). Along the sandy trail heading south along the water back towards the parking area there are several areas where the trail washed out into the creek. FYI, just be careful.

traildead

Post by traildead » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:06 am

The entire trail has been gone through with a weed-eater. While that means there are no face-slappers, it also means there is a lot of small debris on the ground. Those of you with derailleurs, be careful! There are also two trees down, one after the escalator/switchbacks, and the other close to the finish. Go ride!

ap

Post by ap » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:47 pm

Weed eater or mower, I don't care which, but I love them for doing it! Wore a long-sleeve to combat the slappers and did not even have to.
I cleared the vines below the 2nd tree so you can ride underneath it now, unless it sags or you ride 29". Tried some erosion correction on the new switchbacks after the bridges. Gonna need a short bridge soon at bottom of that big dip just before the formerly impossible climb.

ap

Post by ap » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:07 pm

Beast is plenty dry! Go ride

cecjap

Post by cecjap » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:11 pm

Rode the beast today, pretty good condition with the exception of a few large trees down on the trail. Great trail, alot tougher than I expected.

ray m

Post by ray m » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:14 pm

The trail is in great shape, there has been a lot of work done on it since the last time I was there. Most notably, escalator has been redone and now puts you directly on the jeep climb which has also been redone, still long and steep but super smooth now. The last three or four sketchy bridges have been replaced, and a couple of new ones have been added, and the trail has just been blown off, so there are some nice "smooth" lines emerging. A good time to check it out.
"Bicycles will abound in Utopia" H.G. Wells